Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning the inside of some very dirty Fuchs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PBC914
Any suggestions for cleaning the inside of the Fuchs? I just bought some originals, outside they all look great, inside it looks like baked on oil (a very thin tough layer). I just tried armor all wheel cleaner to no avail.
smg914
Soapy wet "lemon SOS pads" from your local grocery store.
PBC914
QUOTE(smg914 @ Jan 12 2011, 09:18 PM) *

Soapy wet "lemon SOS pads" from your local grocery store.

Thanks for the reply-I had wondered about that but was concerned about scratching. At least they'll smell good!
jmill
What about stainless BBQ grill and oven cleaner? Worked great on a set of heat exchangers I had. It would clean up baked on grease easy.
PBC914
I'll try the oven cleaner first-thanks for the great ideas everyone.
jmill
Some oven cleaners are too harsh. Make sure it's been done with good results before you try it. I threw a question mark on there hoping someone would chime in. Worked great on my heat exchangers but they were stainless. Don't know how it works on rims.
r_towle
Yellow easy off contains lye.
That will strip the anodized finish from the front of the wheel...or any other finish for that matter.

Careful that you dont use a product that contains lye.

Rich
Gint
They weren't Fuchs, but I had a set of wheels that had a pretty good coat of molybdenum cv grease, brake dust, etc... all over the back of them. Took them to a high pressure car wash, hit them with the tire and engine cleaner and then blasted 'em with soap and a rinse. Took them home and used whatever meguiar's car wash I had on had and a toothbrush. It didn't take long and they look pretty good. YMMV
Lennies914
The oven cleaner from the "dollar tree" works and doesn't harm the anodizing. The brand is "power house". I did the inside on mine last weekend. They also sell a product called "the works". It is toilet bowl cleaner. It works the best, but use caution.
pete000
I find the best thing is wheel acid. But this stuff is serious and should be used with extreme care. It can ruin a set of Fuchs in seconds if not used properly. It does perform miracles when in the right hands.

And do not get any on the wheel face ! It kills the factory clear anodized coating on the wheels.

This is why it is not sold to the public in stores. I get it from a auto detail supply.

avidfanjpl
Steve gave me the suggestion to use Lemon SOS, and they were way good to use.

I used about 3 per wheel, insides only.

Get a few boxes. Wear waterproof gloves.

John
avidfanjpl
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 12 2011, 08:07 PM) *

Yellow easy off contains lye.
That will strip the anodized finish from the front of the wheel...or any other finish for that matter.

Careful that you dont use a product that contains lye.

Rich

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif NO! NO! NO!
You will Fuch the important side up for certainan permenantly, unless of course you get them refinished. You really have to be carefull with anodized wheels, Once and only once I took a car to a detailer and told him no cleany the wheel no polish the wheels no shiny the wheel, just buf the scratches and wax the paint ect.. sure enough they sprayed something on the wheels thinking shinny chrome.. clouded stained the Fuch's, lucky for them I was getting them refinished at Al Reeds the next week.. Proper Anodized Refishing runs about $700.
PBC914
I'll five the SOS pads a shot first. I remember when I cleaned my wheels on my first 914 with a heavy duty wheel cleaner. I got a streak on the front that I was unable to remove (and I was not pleased!).
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I knew I was asking the right forum!
RFoulds
I use mineral spirits. Then rubbing compound with a polishing wheeel, then mothers wheel polish.

crest.gif
PBC914
Remember this is the inside I'm looking to clean. I don't need them brought to a mirror finish on the inside. Just clean! Thanks everyone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.