Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ghetto door handle repair.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steeks
Ok, I don't know if anyone has posted anything like this before, I didn't see anything in the search, so here goes. I was tired of my broken door handles on my car, always having to use both hands to open the doors, and having to open the door for anyone who was a passenger. The cost of replacement door handles and even the repair kit seemed outrageous to me. Plus I couldn't afford them if I wanted to. So, after carefully analyzing what needed to happen for the door handles to work properly again, I ran into the junk pile which is my garage and started sifting through the junk. I found some small steel shelf brackets and some hardware and went to work. I flattened out the brackets and used a dremel tool to trim one side to fit perfectly inside the pivot point of the door handle and much to my surprise, the hole that was already in the bracket matched up perfectly with the existing hole in the door, Installed the hardware with the nut and washer to the inside of the door and whammo! In the span of 25 minutes repaired both door handles. I can now open both doors with my pinky finger. Of course this is not for those of you going for concours restorations, But for someone short on cash, It is a solid repair that should be much stronger than it was originally. I have no idea of how to post pictures on this website, but if anyone is interested, I could, through email, talk you through this simple process. Or, if you are not very mechanically inclined, I may be able to whip a set up for you. If this is old hat and someone has already done it, Please disregard this post. Thanks. Steve S. sawzall-smiley.gif
EdwardBlume
Nice work..

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
smontanaro
QUOTE(steeks @ Jan 13 2011, 10:54 AM) *
I have no idea of how to post pictures on this website...

When you post, there is a File attachments link underneath the window full of smilies. Click the "Choose File" button, select a pic from your machine, then "Add This Attachment". That will upload it. Then click "Add Into Post", which will add an "attachmentid=NNNN" blurb into your post, like so:

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(steeks @ Jan 13 2011, 08:54 AM) *
I have no idea of how to post pictures on this website

Read the FAQ ... shades.gif

Adding Pictures to Your Post

And a link to the FAQ forum:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showforum=16
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.