Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remove jack plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
I want to remove the jack plate and replace with a flat plate. This jack plate has already been replaced, I can see the original one behind, it's very rusted.

How should I remove the jack plate, with a sawzall or a cutting wheel?

Is the heater hose behind the jack plate?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Any pics would be helpful.
Brad Roberts
Hey Rob.

Here is what I would do:

With a flat grinder grind off the crappy welds and remove that plate and get down to the OE plate. When you get there.. take another pic and make sure I see this thread. I'll let you know what to do then when I see the remains.

You could use a cutoff wheel and *grind* back the welds with it... run the wheel side to side on the beed ( I use that term loosely... beed) if you dont have a 4 inch hand grinder.

B
East coaster
Here's what was behind mine when I removed all the rotted stuff......

I replaced the jackpost but I'm still contemplating removing it and replacing it with flat plate.
East coaster
After.........
watsonrx13
Thanks Brad. It's going to be next week before I can get to the car again. I'll grind out the old welds, then post the new pics.

Thanks again for your assistance and it sounds like you're making headway at HPH.
si2t3m
East coaster,

I gotta ask! How did you manage to replace the teepee and the jackpost with the fender in place?

You slit the teepee in 2 and welded it back together?

For now, I just used POR 15 in that area awaiting the final repair.

TIA

Marc-André
watsonrx13
Brad, here's a pic of the jack plate removed, passenger side. I haven't removed the original jack plate, any recommendations on removal?
watsonrx13
Here's a pic of the jack plate on the driver's side, after removal. There's quite a bit of rust in the long.
Brad Roberts
Hey Rob,

that rail isnt looking good. How far can you see up into the rail (use a good light)

B
Brad Roberts
Rob,

this sucks. That rail has been repaired before.

B
Eric_Shea
Here's what it looks like with the entire longitudinal off. It really looks as though you'll need to go this route.
watsonrx13
Brad and Eric, thanks for the posting. This is the car I got from Joe in MS (the one that was burnt in his mother-in-laws garage last year). All I've done so far is practice how to strip paint and rust, remove fenders and repair rusted area with some butt-welding. I have Brad Meyer's clam-shell longitudinal, should I use it?

The question I should ask is, 'Is this car worth the effort to restore or should I use it as a parts car?'. It has no interior, suspension, engine or transmission.

I have another '74 that is definately a parts car (rust in the longs, floor boards and rear trunk), which I was hoping to take these 2 and make one.

I also have a really nice '74 that I've removed the front and rear suspension, engine and transmission. My objective on this car is to convert to a v8, upgrade the suspension with Mueller's roller bearings and eventually go with the 5-lug conversion. The only major restoration is the right rear suspension needs replacing.

Decisions, Decisions.... Damn these cars are addicting... <_<

And Brad,
thanks for the posting, I know you're very busy with HPH and working late nights (4:00 am) and myself and everyone else really, REALLY appreciate your assistance and this BBS. (HA HA, bet you never expected this BBS to take off like it has!!!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.