Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dropping a 914 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
weener101
Newbie here, just wanted to know how hard it was to drop a 914 engine? I've done a 356, have a two post lift...but have never looked at the process. How many bolts/connections/ time frame etc would be much appreciated. Thanks! Dave
SirAndy
QUOTE(weener101 @ Jan 13 2011, 02:31 PM) *

Newbie here, just wanted to know how hard it was to drop a 914 engine? I've done a 356, have a two post lift...but have never looked at the process. How many bolts/connections/ time frame etc would be much appreciated. Thanks! Dave

There's a good pictorial in the tech articles ...

http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_art.php

popcorn[1].gif
VaccaRabite
If you have done a 356 then you can do a 914. It's so easy I could even do it. Spend one evening removing the exhaust and axles and shifter bar. With a lift it will be easy. All said and done it's just 6 bolts that hold it up there.

One evening for prep. One evening to pull. Easy.
r_towle
The main difference is that you take out the motor and trans together.
Split them on the floor afterwards.

If I had a two post lift, I would build a table with wheels just like the big boys do it....then its even faster.

Figure about 20 minutes up top to unplug elec and fuel.
About 30 minutes below to remove axles and shifter.
10 minutes to remove all four bolts that hold it up.
Done.

I have done it on jacks in 45 minutes...when I was really in a rush.
I suppose it could be done even faster...

I saw a beetle video on youtube...car drive up on ramps, motor out, pulled away three feet and then back in and driven off in under 3 minutes....it was amazing.

Rich
weener101
Thanks guys....appreciate it. Dave
AndyB
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 13 2011, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(weener101 @ Jan 13 2011, 02:31 PM) *

There's a good pictorial in the tech articles ...

http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_art.php

popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif Followed the pictures drank beer and dropped the engine. biggrin.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 13 2011, 02:35 PM) *

...it's just 6 bolts that hold it up there.

6?

I assume, maybe wrongly, that he would drop the engine and the trans together, no?

Wouldn't it be 4 bolts then?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jan 14 2011, 02:02 AM) *

6?

I assume, maybe wrongly, that he would drop the engine and the trans together, no?

You are probably right. My brain is foggy. I was thinking there were 4 bolts on the transmission mounts, not just two.

Zach
r_towle
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 14 2011, 09:53 AM) *

QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jan 14 2011, 02:02 AM) *

6?

You are probably right. My brain is foggy. I was thinking there were 4 bolts on the transmission mounts, not just two.

Zach

It can be either way....user choice.
Take the two large bolts, or take the four smaller ones.
I am a creature of less is more...I always choose the smaller number.

Remember...I may be totally full of BS and talking out my A@#....so plan accordingly.

Rich
Spoke
I did the 6-bolt method, 2 on the engine bar and the 4 holding transmission mounts.

When I re-installed the engine, I left the muffler attached with no problems. It helped to have the ends of the heat exchangers tied down anyways.
dangrouche
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...engine_drop.htm

bird board method in excruciating detail, i would say the fuel injector rails is the only potential hangup, so to be safe for those NLA babies (f you are are 2.0 djet), I would disconnect and remove the fuel rails
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.