Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I make a Space-saver spare from a crap Fuchs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
phillstek
I have a 6x15 5 stud Fuchs rim that's pretty crappy. The stud holes were chewed out and steel inserts have been installed (I got it this way). It's always been my spare and I'd like to turn it into an SS rim just for fun.

I'm thinking of parting and sectioning the rim and re-welding it.

That shouldn't be too difficult,right?

The local Porsche wrecker wants $300.00 for a real SS rim.

Once again, all comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

ConeDodger
Eric Shea did it... Not sure he followed your methodology though.
Eric_Shea
Just put the space saver tire on that rim.
VaccaRabite
Can you get new space saver tires to mount on the rim? I would not want to use an old folded tire.
brant
I procured a 14inch fold tire about 15 years ago and mounted it onto a 14inch fuchs.....

no cutting required.

crap I'm getting old... I've never used that tire, but I'll bet it would be pretty rotted if I did need it... crap... maybe I had better get a new spare one of these days
racerbvd
Yes, some Porsches even came with it.. Here is my old FACTORY spare..

A good tire shop can do it, just a bit more work..
underthetire
I just picked up one for forty bucks from a member here a while back. I blew it up to check it, no cracks. I think they last a long time since they are not filled with as much air as a normal tire and usually iside the car in a dark space.
914werke
SOT; so If I picked up a (newer) non P-car with a never used 15" Yokohama space saver tire I COULD take a Steelie, Mahle or Fuch wheel and have my FLATS (Friendly Local TIRE Store) swap it on for me?
Isn't there anything special about a SS Rim?
Andyrew
What cars have space saver spares on them?
jt914-6
I'm using a space saver spare from a 944....it does clear my C2 calipers too....
SLITS
I have personally done 2 for friends on our tire machine. Bent the hell out of the steel rim first time around but didn't screw up the Fuchs. A little work, but it can be done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.