Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What type lug bolts do I need to mount Riviera wheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steeks
Does anyone know what type and length lug bolts I will need to mount Riv's? As I understand it, the flange is thinner than factory alloys. Also, need to know if they use ball seat or 60 degree.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(steeks @ Jan 14 2011, 10:18 AM) *

Does anyone know what type and length lug bolts I will need to mount Riv's? As I understand it, the flange is thinner than factory alloys. Also, need to know if they use ball seat or 60 degree.

stock work fine YMMV
steeks
Well, My "stock" bolts are only 25mm, I have steelies on the car right now. I do not have the wheels in my possession yet, so I can't measure anything. Are you saying that my 25mm lug bolts will work? or that I need 38mm bolts like the factory alloys? I found some online that are 33mm. I'm wanting to order some if necessary b4 the wheels get here. Thanks.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(steeks @ Jan 14 2011, 10:31 AM) *

Well, My "stock" bolts are only 25mm, I have steelies on the car right now. I do not have the wheels in my possession yet, so I can't measure anything. Are you saying that my 25mm lug bolts will work? or that I need 38mm bolts like the factory alloys? I found some online that are 33mm. I'm wanting to order some if necessary b4 the wheels get here. Thanks.

"your Stock bolts" should work, you don't need 2 ltr lugs for Rivs.
steeks
Sweet! Thanks, I'll give it a try. But if my wheels fall off, I'm gonna come looking for ya, Haha. Thanks again.
Tom_T
IIRC the original genuine Rivieras have a different seat than the later repops, so look at the lug insets as to whether yours are acorn or cone shaped, then you can get them online accordingly (have the seller check or snap you a pic).

My real Rivs are using the stock 914 alloy lugs (38mm), since ANY alloy will be thicker than the steelies, so IMHO you need longer than the 25mm steel lugs (in deference to George).

You can find them used in the classifieds here, 914club, clubNARP, TheSamba, TC'sGarage, Pelican, PP/Automotion, SMC, AA, etc. & Porsche dealers (acorn); or VW dealers, BusDepot, GoWesty, TheSamba, etc. for the VW style cone or vee-base type (all are dot-coms).

Also, I've seen this guy name theadante in San Antonio TX on TheSamba who appears to have proper repros for 914 alloys/Rivs & VW/Audi style (look at his other products to match what you need). I haven't bought any yet, but they appear to have the proper heads & blank shoulders, but don't know anything more about them, QC, location of mfgr., etc. (no affiliation).
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/sea...name=TheAndante
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=677359
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=753309

There are also other vendors out there who sell them in the black oxide finish.
rhcb914
For Riviera wheels the 25mm stock bolts are what you need the 38mm alloy wheel bolts are too long and stick through the hub and can bind on the back side. Every Riviera I have seen takes this bolt and this is what I run on my car.

The formula V wheels which look like Riviera but has a flat spoke surface rather than raised I believe take the 38mm bolts...It's been a very long time since I have mounted one of them.
steeks
Ok, I am not sure if these wheels are actual Rivieras or Repros, I guess I will wait til they get here and see what I've got.
G e o r g e
like I said, yours will work for Riv's.
DanT
just for fun I went out and measured the mounting flange thinkness of a Factory Fuchs and a repop Riv...I just happen to have some of both... biggrin.gif
Factory Fuchs mounting flange is 25mm from the back to the face of the front.
Riv repop mounting flange is 12-13mm from front to back.
I did not measure to the bottom of the lug hole but to the flat face of each wheel.
Anyway, the Riv needs about 12mm less lug length to mount...so the stock steel 25mm lugs should work if the Rivs you get have a ball mount surface and not the acorn or 60* mounting surface...
hope this gives you some more concrete info.
steeks
The guy I am getting these from said that he used ball seat lug bolts on these wheels, He hadn't had them mounted in a while and couldn't remember how long they were. Thanks for the input fellas, I think I'm good!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.