Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ot...65 ghia research
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
I am open to all suggestions on the build up of a 65 Ghia coupe
we are keeping the body stock
hoping to modify drive train, need a tranny builder
building out motor to a 2.0 plus, type one(he is hoping for 125hp+)
need suggestions on build,/combos/ and who would be a great builder
and want discs up front/ maybe back too
goal is to have the car built up as sporty tourer
Tight suspension is a must, again sugestions welcome
t4 rat suggestions also welcome
cheers
steve
Cap'n Krusty
A stock VW tranny will handle 125hp. There are beefier trannies available should you feel the need for one. I can put you in touch with engine people who can get you that kind of reliable HP and you can still use the heater boxes. Not cheap, though.

BTW, It's "Ghia".

The Cap'n
pete-stevers
edit to Ghia... biggrin.gif
r_towle
Dude, its a Ghia.
Have some self respect and love for the car.
Edit the title of the thread also...
smile.gif

Rich
effutuo101
A type4 should fit in nicely. 2.0 with some work and you will be good.
Cairo94507
I have always loved the Ghia coupe. My dumb-ass brother-in-law had a yellow '72 Ghia coupe that was all there but needed help. I must have said a hundred times how much I liked his Ghia over the years. When it stopped running he gave it to kid in his neighborhood who got it running and promptly totaled it.

I would have bought it from him and restored it......
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 14 2011, 03:55 PM) *

I have always loved the Ghia coupe. My dumb-ass brother-in-law had a yellow '72 Ghia coupe that was all there but needed help. I must have said a hundred times how much I liked his Ghia over the years. When it stopped running he gave it to kid in his neighborhood who got it running and promptly totaled it.

I would have bought it from him and restored it......

Ahem! I have a '70 or '71 rolling chassis that needs a good home ......................

The Cap'n
effutuo101
can you bring it to me?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 14 2011, 04:03 PM) *
Ahem! I have a '70 or '71 rolling chassis that needs a good home ......................

Got any pics? How much? idea.gif
effutuo101
hey Steve, I have seen a few suby conversions on Ghia's as well. NA, not turbo
scotty b
keep it real.

2110,CW crank ( obviously ), FK-8 cam, 1.4 rockers, 044 heads assuming the budget is limited, DRD's if not limited, 44 IDF's

Balance, match port & polish everything, full lfow, weld the fan, high flow pump
OU8AVW
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 14 2011, 05:22 PM) *

keep it real.

2110,CW crank ( obviously ), FK-8 cam, 1.4 rockers, 044 heads assuming the budget is limited, DRD's if not limited, 44 IDF's

Balance, match port & polish everything, full lfow, weld the fan, high flow pump

agree.gif
pete-stevers
i am hoping to maintain the h/e s
but i have a 5-6 limit on the engine complete w dells/exhaust/cooling
but i will need a taller tranny too
realred914
contact Rancho transmissions, great reputation.

me I like the ghia alot. I Have a lowlight.
underthetire
My brother had a 64 vert with a 1776 with dual dells on it,pretty well built for a smaller motor, ran real nice. Beutiful car, sold it around 89 for 8 grand!
70 914
Start by getting that late model pan w/ball joint front suspension and disk brakes and irs rear if no tranny i hav one w/axles u can hav! I was vw mech for years , hated 914's as they weren't much of a porsche!(how my mind has changed) and owned several ghias , u can buy a bolt on rear disc kit or make one usin type 3 rear drive/drum lates(drums r seperate) machine them down to fit inside 914 rear rotors and cut caliper brackets off of type 3 spindles and welding the to the top of the irs trailing arms!
pete-stevers
i think it is a great idea to pop a late pan on,
i will check into costs on it...
what options are there for the early pan suspension wise?
scotty b
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jan 16 2011, 10:58 AM) *

Front suspension from a late car wil bolt right on. The rear is the only major difference. If you stick with the swing axle, throw a sway bar on it. For a little more $$$$ you can go air ride from airkewld Bags or shocks. NICE setups but you will pay for it.

http://store.airkewld.com/e-shop-online/su...beetle-and-ghia
Brujo65
I have a 74 ghia with 2.0 RA subaru turbo engine + 091 T2 closed ratio gear box + 944 turbo brake all the way around and it is fun to drive.Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 16 2011, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jan 16 2011, 10:58 AM) *

Front suspension from a late car wil bolt right on. The rear is the only major difference. If you stick with the swing axle, throw a sway bar on it. For a little more $$$$ you can go air ride from airkewld Bags or shocks. NICE setups but you will pay for it.

http://store.airkewld.com/e-shop-online/su...beetle-and-ghia

No it won't....a ball joint front end won't bolt up to a link-pin pan.
Bagging a dub is cool for the shows, but suck if you plan to drive it.

Best stroker engine in your price range is a 2007cc, 78mm X 90.5mm
Zimms
QUOTE(Brujo65 @ Jan 16 2011, 07:06 PM) *

I have a 74 ghia with 2.0 RA subaru turbo engine + 091 T2 closed ratio gear box + 944 turbo brake all the way around and it is fun to drive.Click to view attachment

Can you post more pictures?
sixnotfour
good looking - reading
http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/vie...asc&start=0
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.