Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weather stripping for front trunk lid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NJ914Guy
I see a lot of 914's with front trunk lids that sit just a little bit high, especially around the headlights. This is also an issue on my new 914. PO claims the problem is due to a poor fitting (aftermarket) weather strip.

I want to correct this on my car. Which parts vendor has the best fitting front trunk weather strip? I am told tha 914rubber is very good quality? Any tips for removal of the old and installation of the new is much appreciated. Thanks!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I would not say that the trunk lid problem is a poor fitting hood seal (although the Tasker variety that everyone sells does not have the molded angled ends in the rear corners so does not fit that well) but rather that the hood is either too low in back (look at the fit at the cowl) Too far back, has been sprung from lifting it too high, the stops are unscrewed or the car has been hit in the front and slightly shortened!
The factory hood seal is the best, Our reproduction has the molded corners and fits very well, and I think that Mark makes a nice fitting one as well

QUOTE(NJ914Guy @ Jan 15 2011, 07:01 AM) *

I see a lot of 914's with front trunk lids that sit just a little bit high, especially around the headlights. This is also an issue on my new 914. PO claims the problem is due to a poor fitting (aftermarket) weather strip.

I want to correct this on my car. Which parts vendor has the best fitting front trunk weather strip? I am told tha 914rubber is very good quality? Any tips for removal of the old and installation of the new is much appreciated. Thanks!

NJ914Guy
Thanks for the tips Doc. I will check the adjustment points before I order parts. If all looks good, would removing the stripping and checking fit be a good test to rule out a poor fit issue?
Mikey914
Kind of funny, I made a front trunk seal but it did actually hold the front trunk up too high. That's why I never released it (the neoprene version).

I will be retooling for it in the future, but have a few other items on my plate right now. I did notice the composition of the OEM seal had molded corners that do put pressure to hold it up slightly. So, some pressure is to be expected, and yes there is some adjustment, but not a lot.

The big problem with most of the seals on the market is that they use foam rubber (yes even the one I'm currently doing does), and the foam holds water like a sponge.This is best reason for not gluing it down.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.