Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Time 914 Buyer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steuart
Considering buying a 1973 914 in good shape, 2 owners, real nice interior and the engine looks and runs very good. 100+ miles. My concern is the rust on the walls in the engine BEHIND the insulation. Battery tray is fine but there is rust on the wall. Is this a deal killer? FYI - first time 914 buyer.
silver74insocal
it needs to pass the screwdriver test. also, if your really serious, you need to look behind the passenger side rocker panel. but its all relative to price i suppose.

also, get some pics and post them on here..these guys can spot a problem a mile away...they're some teener yoda masters on here!!
rhcb914
Best thing you could possibly do is find someone local who knows these cars well to check it out with you. I have checked out a few cars that looked really good, had a battery tray but turned out to be real turds. If you can't find someone take some really detailed pictures and post them here.
Dr Evil
Where in VA are you? There are some good folks down there.
sixaddict
Some rust normally means more rust.....Take an awe and put car on lift then start poking ...Also pull passenger seat full forward and stab at lower firewall ( or farwall depending on your location in Virginia lol-2.gif) ...Most rust can be concealled and will cause icon8.gif ...after you own it.
Half of sellers are not aware so your task is to uncover it ...Not easy but it wil lsave you mucho.
Good luck
rick 918-S
welcome.png You mention the battery tray. If the owner will let you take a screw driver and poke the top of the rail in the pocket ahead fo the battery that we call the hell hole. This will be your easiest sign of trouble welcome.png
scotty b
Where are you ? If you're close by I can take a look for you, or you can come by my shop and I'll show you where to look.
underthetire
Take these guys up on there offers. A car can look good, thes headbang.gif
Ask me how I know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.