Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can you mix & match parts from CVs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
So I spent the weekend taking apart CV joints.

I took apart 4 that came off of the current car and 4 that came as extras for my parts car.
The parts car has 4 more that I could plunder.

Here's the issue: Of the first 4, 2 look to be in great shape bearing surface wise, but one has a broken cage. 2 look worn with pitting on the bearing surfaces.

Mostly the same on the next 4, 2 good, 2 worn.

However, of some of the "good bearing surfaces" the balls look worse than the others.

Can I put the "good" balls in the "best bearing surface" parts?

Then, can I mix & match the inner bearing with good outers?

If I can mix parts, I would have four really nice CVs, but up to this point, I have kept all the parts segregated to themselves.

I imagine swapping the cages is no problem, but mixing bearing parts & balls, I dont know.

I can post pics of all 8 if that helps. Might be a good reference in the future.

Stu
pcar916
The ball sizes are indexed and the CV's have group numbers i.e. 3, 4, 5, 6 etc. If you must build them up then stick to the same group number within a particular outer and inner pieces stamped with that index. Long ago CV's used to be replaceable with individual pieces. Cages have to be fairly pristine to reuse as well, as in not too grooved.

Lot's of things are that way nowadays when it's usually cheaper (labor) for a shop/mechanic to just replace an entire assembly. There are as well things one will do to your own car that it doesn't make sense to do for a customer car simply from the re-work/liability standpoint. This is one of them.

I wouldn't do this with a really high-horsepower application either but with my own standard car I wouldn't have a problem. But don't use any parts that are galled. Slightly worn is ok, even grooved a bit, but metal gone is scrapyard fodder.

... and always use synthetic grease. As always you do this at your own risk!
good luck
sean_v8_914
well siad Ron. I have mis-matched CV-steins or frenken-cv's in my car but i could never do that to a customer's car. so far, so good...
stugray
Here are some part numbers for the 8 CVs:

#1 LOBRO 6/80 stamped "5"
#2 LOBRO 6/80 stamped "5"
#3 LOBRO (logo only?) L060 12-77 (this one has no lip for the gasket)
#4 KN GKN15 Germany 17601LB0C153 10 01 99009 ( this one has the broken cage)
#5 no number, just a VW logo stamp
#6 71531001 99 004 LOBRO 4485 W-Germany ( This one appears to have the best quality)
#7 no number, just a VW logo stamp
#8 no number, just a VW logo stamp

I am guessing that I dont get to swap parts between these much....
What if I measure the balls with a Mic?
If the variation "between sets" is within the variation "within sets", then I should be able to mix the balls & seats?

Also, #4 above has the broken cage, but seems to be in the best shape.
I am guessing that IF I can fit another cage from a worse bearing onto it, I can still use it?

Stu
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.