Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuild engine too tight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adambo
I rebuilt my 1.7 motor and put it back in the car but it wouldn't turn over fast enough to start. Checked grounds and that was not the problem. So I pulled the motor out again and it seems really resistant when trying to turn the flywheel by hand, I am fairly confident I shimmed the fly wheel correctly and the fly wheel is true. Any suggestions? All of this was done with the spark plugs removed.
Thanks,
-Adam
VaccaRabite
You can not turn the engine over with the plugs out?

When you put the case together did you make SURE that you could turn the crank like it was made of ice? If you misaligned the the first main bearing (which is common if you don't get it lined up perfect) you are going to need to teardown the engine and replace that bearing.

What is the endplay you have on the flywheel?

Zach
adambo
I put the case together last winter so I can't remember perfectly but I am confident I wouldn't have put the rest of the motor together if it wasn't smooth, but then again you never know. Axial play with no shims was .039 inches,
Thanks
ME733
.You probably checked the flyweel end play.....BUT, now that the flyweel bolts are torqued up, RECHECK the flyweel end play., with a dial indicator, compair it to factory specs.
914itis
Make sure that the push push Rhod tubes are seating properly behind th rockers. it happened ti me as i was changing the seals.
Dave_Darling
We have also heard of problems with cam gear/oil pump interference...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.