Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have pics - need help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steuart
All,
Thanks for your kindness to a newbie and first time buyer. I have attached the pics for this '73 that I am thinking about buying for 6-8K. 100K + miles, good interior, runs well (according to seller), and only two owners. My concern is the rust. Also, car is in 500 miles away from me so I am doing this remotely.
Thanks to all.

Scott
Click to view attachment
silver74insocal
pics? confused24.gif you will probably have to resize them...good luck with that popcorn[1].gif
jimkelly
slow down.

think clearly.

rust is a monster.

primary bad area - under battery on passenger side.

jim

underthetire
Doesn't look like rust. That looks like glue from someone trying to stick the sound mat down. For that kind of money, there are a couple le cars out here. Have someone check that car out for that kind of money.
underthetire
Never mind, I see it. Engine shelf. There IS more elsewhere then. The owner might not know it, you may not see it, but it's there.
DanT
If you look at the very bottom of the sound pad there is rust all along the engine shelf...

in the current market...$6-8K should get you a very clean, minimal structural rust (if any) car.
914Sixer
Rip the pad off the back wall and throw it away. There are lots of new materials that are replacements. This is a major source of rust on the back walls of cars from 73-76. Check all along the bottom for rust. I see rust all along the top of the engine shelf.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 16 2011, 09:05 PM) *

Rip the pad off the back wall and throw it away. There are lots of new materials that are replacements. This is a major source of rust on the back walls of cars from 73-76. Check all along the bottom for rust. I see rust all along the top of the engine shelf.

Yeah, so do I. Looks like some serious perforation. Those soundpads were as stupid a Porsche thought as hydropneumatic struts on 911E's.

Don't replace it - it has no useful purpose. Throw it away & don't look back! Sorta like this car - walk quietly away & don't look back. There are better.
Pat
type47
Where in VA are you? There may be some VA 914'ers in your area to help you look and evaluate your car.
Steuart
Guys,
Very helpful comments. Now I see the damage below. Check my math on this though. 6K should get you a pretty rust free, good driving 914? Perhaps my expectations are too low and budget too high?

Thank,
Scott
Steuart
I live in VA but the car in in FL. If you know any high quality 914's in VA for less than 8K let me know.

Thanks,

Scott
Steuart
Thanks for the insight. Sounds like this is not your first 914. First time buyer myself, so looking for any insight possible. Like to buy a good 914 for under 10K.
Best,

Scott
Spoke
There's a real nice 2L 1974 914 in Philadelphia for sale. I used to own the car. Virtually rust free. No rust in the hell hole and original battery tray is strong. 5-lug with 7x15 on the front and 8x15 wheels on the rear. Original FI runs like a charm and does not leak oil.

Ravenna Green 1974 2L

flipb
Have some patience. I found my '74 2.0 in Maryland (outside Baltimore) in pretty good shape and within your budget. The previous owner replaced a lot of rusted metal around battery tray, hell hole, etc.

Found it on eBay... very much hit or miss, I was lucky!

Where in VA are you?

Zimms
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 16 2011, 10:08 PM) *

There's a real nice 2L 1974 914 in Philadelphia for sale. I used to own the car. Virtually rust free. No rust in the hell hole and original battery tray is strong. 5-lug with 7x15 on the front and 8x15 wheels on the rear. Original FI runs like a charm and does not leak oil.

Ravenna Green 1974 2L

I agree. I liked that one from your first post, and wish I had the funds when you sold it, and now. It really looks nice and a unique color.
r_towle
Rust on engine shelf.
Possibly missing the battery tray (relocated MPS)
Keep looking for others.

Rich
Ferg
I see some serious rust and in a "not the first" to rust location, I"d run away from that one since you are buying out of state, I'm certain it's full of bad surprises elsewhere.

Plenty of other really nice cars for sale currently. Two of them are in Colorado, well worth the 1k in shipping to get a solid "no welding" needed chassis.

Ferg
silver74insocal
agree.gif in california, we call that a "parts car" biggrin.gif
wrightee
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Jan 17 2011, 01:54 AM) *

agree.gif in california, we call that a "parts car" biggrin.gif

Fellow VA member here - got my first car on ebay, and its a fairly complete parts car - rust is way too severe for me (could potentially be rebuilt, but keeping it straight while replacing both longs would be my concern).

So I searched out and found a (virtually) rust-free shell in CA. Cost me $900 to ship to VA, with most quotes around $1,000 (and this for a car that had to be pushed on and off of the rig).

I'm under $3k on both cars...but probably 3 years away from driving one, too! Hope this helps in determining the right budget for what you want.
carr914
QUOTE(Steuart @ Jan 16 2011, 09:58 PM) *

I live in VA but the car in in FL. If you know any high quality 914's in VA for less than 8K let me know.

Thanks,

Scott

Plenty of Folks down here in Florida, but as other have said, the shelf looks rusty and if it's rusty there it is rusty in other places
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Steuart @ Jan 16 2011, 03:56 PM) *

All,
Thanks for your kindness to a newbie and first time buyer. I have attached the pics for this '73 that I am thinking about buying for 6-8K. 100K + miles, good interior, runs well (according to seller), and only two owners. My concern is the rust. Also, car is in 500 miles away from me so I am doing this remotely.
Thanks to all.

Scott
Click to view attachment

Thats glue, brown like rust, I cleaned mine when I put in a new pad.. Not rust..
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jan 17 2011, 04:18 PM) *

Thats glue, brown like rust, I cleaned mine when I put in a new pad.. Not rust..

Look at the very bottom of the back pad. rust through on the engine shelf.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 16 2011, 05:59 PM) *

Doesn't look like rust. That looks like glue from someone trying to stick the sound mat down. For that kind of money, there are a couple le cars out here. Have someone check that car out for that kind of money.

agree.gif but now I do see the engine shelf too..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.