Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O/T Shift Knob Coat Rack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rnellums
I had some free time over the weekend and decided to mount some of my surplus knobs on a coat rack. I've got a habit of turning new shift knobs when I'm bored and needed a project to control my ADD! I built the base out of cedar 2x4 scrap, the posts are half inch zing coated rod from the local hardware store, and the knobs are custom except for one. Next step is to use something thinner than a 2x4, and to spend some more time sanding to get a smoother finish.
Enjoy! biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rnellums
More:
Click to view attachment
RJMII
I like the creativity! It looks quite functional and artistic.
Mr.242
piratenanner.gif

Cool!
Gint
Too funny. I love it.
nsr-jamie
I think that is very cool !! Would be cool in a Porsche guys den or a garage for sure....kind of gives me an idea what to do with some of my old parts. Cheers!!
URY914
Great idea! beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Thats exactly what I want to do! However I want to put valve stems for a key rack!
rnellums
Valve stems would be sweet! All told I spent hours on the knobs compared to about ten minutes on the rack part.
7TPorsh
Very nice! Where do u get the sleeves? They look high quality. I'm trying to make a knob from a wood ball I bot from the hardware store.
underthetire
I like biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 17 2011, 09:40 AM) *
I like biggrin.gif

agree.gif
rnellums
I dont use sleeves on any of the ones I have. To be honest U usually drill the hole out to 0.6 in. and then either use hot glue or a thin layer of electrical tape to provide enough friction to hold it on. As far as making the actual knobs go I used a mini lathe for one, a big lathe for the aluminum knob, and then a combination of hand saws, sandpaper, and an electric drill for the last wooden knob. sunglasses.gif
Tom
That is nice.
Making one out of DYMONDWOOD would make for some unique patterns and would look great. Just need to find a piece the right size.
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.