Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some restoration input on shocks..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
tod914
Hey guys, I'll likely replace my Koni reds this winter with a new set of yellows I picked up this past summer. The yellows need to be repainted due to shelf wear. Would you sell the yellows and have the reds redone? Paint the yellows yellow.. Paint the yellows grey to match the original boges, or paint the yellows red?

Thanks for the input.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 17 2011, 10:17 AM) *

Hey guys, I'll likely replace my Koni reds this winter with a new set of yellows I picked up this past summer. The yellows need to be repainted due to shelf wear. Would you sell the yellows and have the reds redone? Paint the yellows yellow.. Paint the yellows grey to match the original boges, or paint the yellows red?

Thanks for the input.

I'd choose the set which is the best performance wise for the car, and rebuild them (if necessary) and refurbish them in their original color. Don't repaint to match original Boges. If your concerned that much about a Concours restoration, then I'd seek out a set of original Boges. I suspect they can still be had.
Tom_T
Tod,

The Koni Red SD (Special Duty) were period correct, available back in the day both as an option for Porsche, & as a dealer upgrade (if not on from the factory, but the buyer wanted them) - as well as aftermarket (I got mine in early 80's when the stock Boges wore out). IIRC the yellows came in the late 80's or so.

I think that Koni can rebuild & restore them to correct original for you - inside & out.

That's what I'll do if mine need more that exterior touch-up paint, & IMHO is your best bet - unless you're hell-bent on staying absolutely stock with the Boges - which were only "Okay" shocks in their stock form.

If you paint the Koni's grey to mock Boges, then some knowledgeable CW judge at some point will gig you upon recognizing the Koni triangle logo stamped in the shafts. Whereas, I've been told by several up on Parade judging, in judging for wear replacement items like shocks, that going to Koni's are okay, so long as they're correct period models.

So IMHO - stick with the real deal of whichever you choose, & be honest & true to original on how you restore them to correct original finish.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jan 17 2011, 10:08 AM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 17 2011, 10:17 AM) *

Thanks for the input.

I'd choose the set which is the best performance wise for the car, and rebuild them (if necessary) and refurbish them in their original color. Don't repaint to match original Boges. If your concerned that much about a Concours restoration, then I'd seek out a set of original Boges. I suspect they can still be had.

agree.gif
... and that would be the Koni SD Reds being the best performing on a 914 IMHO (& that of others), while the yellows depend on which type they are (street, sport, HD).
Pat Garvey
When I lived in the Cincinnati area there was a Koni facility in Florence Kentucky. This was 15 years ago, but they supplied my with necessary spring plates for my then Koni reds, as well as a can of proper spray for when they eventually would get road warrior'd, which they did. Run Boges again now, but you may want to look them up. They were very helpful at the time, but with the failing economy don't know if that location still survives. Try Googling it.
Pat
tod914
Thanks guys, much appreciated. I was reading over some posts about having reds refurbished at a reasonable cost. In, the past I had no luck with Koni responding to rebuilds. I'll follow through on your recommendation Pat. Thanks.
tod914
Pat you da man... just called up the Distribution Center in KY; 859 586 3912, and got some good info. Paint codes are Plastikote T31 for the red/orange, and T29 for the yellow. They just use rattle can paint on them.
Prices are $20 per shock to just test (testing fee refunded if rebuilt). To rebuild it's $165 per shock for fronts + parts. Rears are $125 per shock plus parts. The tech said it would make more sense to buy new fronts, being they are not visable. Other rebuilders are another option. Recall seeing rebuilds in another thread for around $80 per shock.

Here's a link for the paints. http://www.plastikote.com/products/General...amel-Paint.html
bandjoey
Did they give an estimate on parts?
tod914
Bill, no price quote on parts. I should call them back to see what the worse case scenerio would be price wise.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 18 2011, 11:14 AM) *

Pat you da man... just called up the Distribution Center in KY; 859 586 3912, and got some good info. Paint codes are Plastikote P31 for the red/orange, and P29 for the yellow. They just use rattle can paint on them.
Prices are $20 per shock to just test (testing fee refunded if rebuilt). To rebuild it's $165 per shock for fronts + parts. Rears are $125 per shock plus parts. The tech said it would make more sense to buy new fronts, being they are not visable. Other rebuilders are another option. Recall seeing rebuilds in another thread for around $80 per shock.

Happy to help & happy they're still there. Agree with the tech for the fronts - but new! Quite frankly, the diff between 125 & 80 is insignificant & I'd go with Koni shop. But that's just me.
P
tod914
Pat with shipping back and forth, and parts, I'm guessing it will be closer to $200 per shock for the rears. Still probally worth it. They currently have a 7 week turn around time, due to race season comming up. Trying to weigh out all my options. The vendor at $80 per, no longer does Konis; TMS in AZ.
Called up Porsche today, the factory coil springs for our cars are NLA. Want to get the old ones tested while the shocks are going out. Found a local guy, but they are currently on vacation.
Just started getting my parts list together for the winter. Making any progress on Fritz? Or, are you going wait until you send him out to Ohio?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 24 2011, 06:13 PM) *

Pat with shipping back and forth, and parts, I'm guessing it will be closer to $200 per shock for the rears. Still probally worth it. They currently have a 7 week turn around time, due to race season comming up. Trying to weigh out all my options. The vendor at $80 per, no longer does Konis; TMS in AZ.
Called up Porsche today, the factory coil springs for our cars are NLA. Want to get the old ones tested while the shocks are going out. Found a local guy, but they are currently on vacation.
Just started getting my parts list together for the winter. Making any progress on Fritz? Or, are you going wait until you send him out to Ohio?

We are currently getting "thunder snow"!The garage is 42 degrees & my old hands can't deal with it. Looks like the 914 will go to Ohio (unless I get a better offer - Scotty step in here) in March.

Haven't been able to do anything because we get nearly continual snow & cold weather! Currently have a foot on the ground, with another foot coming (starte) tonight! Been a rough winter so far, and more snow is predicted. You have any snow (chuckle)?!
Pat
tod914
Pat, spend the better part of the past 2 months straighting up the garage. Little each day. Put in my order for parts yesterday. Don't mind the cold so much, as long as it's not below freezing. Just put on my hat and a warm jacket then I'm good. Plenty of snow here too! Need to get some snow shoes so I can take advantage of it!
My project list.. well I'd like to do the oil cooler seals, repaint the heat exchangers, replace the cv gaskets on the passenger side axle, alittle touch up when it gets warmer, and replace some rubber boots in the engine compartment. Oh yah and rear shocks. Maybe in a few weeks I'll try to motivate myself to get a move on. Should be done with those tasks in about 3 months. I limit myself to no more than 15-20 minutes of work time every other day or so. Not so bad with the cold that way.
scotty b
Pat PM me. You know I'll do you right....and your car too av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.