Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Secrets of Solo Racing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal
Here is how to get Hank Watt's book on racing, i.e., autox, time trial, club racing or whatever.

Here is how to get his book, which I’d personally recommend to anyone who wants to get serious.

1. The website www.NCRacing.ORG. You can use credit card or PayPal. Believe the site price is $12.95.
2. You can get the book directly from Hank. Send a check for $12.95 that covers book, shipping, tax, etc., to Loki Publishing, 849 Gary Ave. Sunnyvale, CA 94086
3. Amazon. $11.73 or something, but they'll add ~$3 shipping if the total order doesn't get above $25.

Hank might be going to the Reno event.

If you really want to have a great instructor, ask Hank to ride around with you. He is absolutely the best and you will learn a lot.

There is always lots of talent around racing circles, but we are really lucky to have people like Hank around the Bay area willing to help us.
SirAndy
he gave me (all of us) his book for free when i attended a driving school he hosted. biggrin.gif

don't know if he still does that, that was 2 years ago ...
Andy

PS.: the school was for free too!
dinomium
That book is one of the best car books of all time! smilie_pokal.gif
It should be required reading for all Autocross newbies... but it has so much good CORRECT info on fast driving that it is a must read for everybody!!
I would love to meet Hank and have him sign my broken spine edition!
Brad Roberts
The Green car on the cover of Hanks book is maintained/serviced/setup here at our shop. Hank sold it a few years back and the new guy still gets questions from people about the car.

Hank *used* to hold our Time Trial ground school here in the SF bay area. I'm not sure if he still does or not.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 26 2004, 07:17 PM)
Hank *used* to hold our Time Trial ground school here in the SF bay area.

yupp, that was the one ...

driving.gif Andy
Randal
I just head from Hank. He will give us a good discount on the book if we put together a group purchase.

How many people are interested?

I'll be glad to coordinate if that is OK with the board.
Trekkor
Randal, first of all, thank you so much for your instruction at Marina! clap56.gif

With your help, I shaved a full 8 seconds off my first run by day's end.

I want that book.
cork
I'll take a book, any chance he would sign them.
Brad Roberts
Randal.. let Hank know we are here. I know he has a computer and he *might* remember me.

Hank will sign the books.

B
seanery
I'm in for 1.
Randal
I'll let him know Brad.
GaroldShaffer
I'm in for one also please. Just say when /where to send the $$.

- Garold
EdwardBlume
The Green car on the cover of Hanks book is maintained/serviced/setup here at our shop. Hank sold it a few years back and the new guy still gets questions from people about the car.

I think it was called "elf".

Have you seen his current sled?? Shhheesshhh!!!
Randal
Yea, his new car is unbelievable.

Matt Lawrence built the car. I think it is a twin turbo and my buddy John Jefferies had a ride in it around Laguna with Hank driving....de-tuned at the time. John couldn't stop laughing......way to much fun. And there is no question Hank know how to drive. I think he's somewhere in the 30's around there.

I wonder if he would run it at Reno?

A few Matt Lawrence cars always show up in Reno....normally aspirated cars that you'd swear are turbo cars.

Reno is so much fun... Can't wait.

Are you and C. coming? Actually your wife was my favorite student!
Andyrew
The books in my backpack. I read it when I have time in school (I have a "study hall")

I let my friends that want to drive an auto x, or that want to drive my 914 at an auto x, read it, and tell them that once they read it, then I might consider letting them drive it.. lol

Andrew
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 26 2004, 07:46 PM)
I know he has a computer and he *might* remember me.

haha, too bad no one else knows how funny that comment actually is! laugh.gif

i shall never forget the expression on his face when i mentioned that you were working on my car. cool.gif

whatever it is you guys have going, it must be "DEEP" ...
drunk.gif Andy
LvSteveH
I'm in for one too, just let me know how and where to pay. Thanks, sounds like a good read.

MDB2.gif
96conv
I want one too and autographed if possible!
Mueller
I already have 2 copies from previous schools...

I would like to have an autographed copy, I almost asked Hank to sign my book at an event, but was too nervous to approach him and ask sad.gif
Joseph Mills
I'd like a book also. Signed or not.
mightyohm
I'll take one too.
914momo
Add me to the list i'll take one !!! smilie_flagge24.gif
Tom Perso
I'd be up for one as well...
lmcchesney
Yes, the boys and I could use one. Let me know where to send $.
L. McChesney
mike_the_man
I'm in for 1. Signed would be cool, but not a big deal too me. Let me know how much and where to send the chedda.
Britain Smith
Put me down for one.

I actually had Hank and an instructor once...he is awesome.

-Britain
Dave_Darling
LOL!! A buddy of mine used to autoX a Mustang. He had a copy of "Secrets" that he'd bought earlier. He showed up one day to a Santa Rosa Airport autoX (before we got kicked out of there for several years) to watch me run. I was talking to Hank when he wandered by, so I introduced him. His eyes got reeeeaaaaaal wide... A few minutes later, he excused himself and ran home (he lived in Windsor at the time, about 4 minutes' drive from the airport site) and came back with his copy of the book. When asked to sign it, Watts pointed to the intro and said, "But my signature is already in there!" He did sign the book again, though.

Watts has about a zillion anecdotes, and is very good at telling them. One of my faves is about his first time driving Terry Zaccone's car "Marcel".

I wonder what he's named the new car? He was having another buddy of mine do some research. The green car was "the Elf" because of its playful nature and the really obnoxious late-60s bright green color it originally was. He eventually repainted it that darker green with the pinstripes. His cab is "Loki", hence the name of the publishing company "Loki Publishing".

I was driving home one day in the yellow car on El Camino Real, and noticed a huge wing up ahead in traffic. "Damn rice-boy" was my first thought. Then I got closer and noticed that the silhouette of the car was more familiar--it was a 911. No rear bumper, either. Uhhh.... Waitaminnit, two snail-shapes hanging there on the rear corners of the car? Hey--I know whose car that has to be!! Traffic allowed me to pull alongside, so I honked, smiled, and waved. That was the first time I'd actually seen Watts' new car. I'd been hearing about it, or plans for it, for several years already.

Oh, BTW--Hank can climb trees really well. Something about having those long, long arms and being fearless enough to crawl out along branches that I wouldn't trust... And he likes avocados well enough to do such climbing. smile.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.