Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do i get dead rodent smell out of my 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
Something must have crawled under the car and died. icon8.gif

Probably inside the heater mufflers as the ends in the engine bay are open.
The smell is pretty bad ...

Any good ideas on how to get rid of the smell? I don't think i will be able to get to whatever died in there, at least it won't be easy.

unsure.gif
silver74insocal
take a dump on your passenger seat...you will no longer notice the dead rodent smell...guaranteed post-2-1117899824.gif thumb3d.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Jan 18 2011, 10:05 PM) *

take a dump on your passenger seat...you will no longer notice the dead rodent smell...guaranteed post-2-1117899824.gif thumb3d.gif

Ahahahhahahahhahahaha!!!! av-943.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 18 2011, 10:02 PM) *
Any good ideas

I was asking for *good* ideas ... rolleyes.gif
Mike Bellis
After a week or two of rotting, the smell will go away. Go to a local car washand stuff the vacuum into the hole. It should pull it out if the othere side is open.
silver74insocal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 18 2011, 10:09 PM) *

Any good ideas

laugh.gif sorry Andy, i agree with kq, the only solution i know of is time and fresh air. there is a member on here screen name "ripper" something. he works in a mortuary, might have some good ideas confused24.gif beerchug.gif Dave
ONTHEGRIND
Orange peels rob one of you neighbors trees peel some
Oranges and leave them in there overnight see if that helps.. I friend of mine had a Ferrari 355 and was a heavy smoker every time we picked up the car from service the would take out orange peels from under the floor mat and the car would smell fresh inside..
lucky25
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 18 2011, 10:09 PM) *

Any good ideas

The best way is a product called phu phu
go to your nearest fire dept and ask them about it and where you can find it . It is the only thing I have found that will remove the smell. they use it for dead body smell

I used to do crime clean up

lucky25
Valy

Something must have crawled under the car and died. icon8.gif

Probably inside the heater mufflers as the ends in the engine bay are open.
The smell is pretty bad ...

Any good ideas on how to get rid of the smell? I don't think i will be able to get to whatever died in there, at least it won't be easy.

unsure.gif

BBQ it with a Brenner.
jsharp.gif
Smells much better!
sixnotfour
Maybe around the gas tank, they get in thru the fuel line access hole.

nsr-jamie
how about an air freshner for the time being
benalishhero
We use a chlorine bomb at work for our used cars. Especially if it's been a smokers car. I can't recall the name of the product, but it works great. Makes the car smell like a pool inside.........
carr914
Instead of Orange Peels, get an Apple, slice it in Quarters, put them on a paper plate nearest the odor - the Apple will absorb the odor and when the Apple dries up, toss it
carr914
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Jan 19 2011, 01:05 AM) *

Don't do this on a Corderoy Interior
jaxdream
I you believe it's in the heater muffler , try hooking a vaccum to the engine side and undo the paper hose on the long and blast air through it , maybe be able to get it out ?? Might be worth a shot. Yeah air freshener will help , leave it with the top off and the windows down in a secure area. Good luck ....

Jack / Jaxdream
okieflyr
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Jan 19 2011, 08:40 AM) *

I you believe it's in the heater muffler , try hooking a vaccum to the engine side and undo the paper hose on the long and blast air through it , maybe be able to get it out ?? Might be worth a shot. Yeah air freshener will help , leave it with the top off and the windows down in a secure area. Good luck ....

Jack / Jaxdream

agree.gif

As it dries out it should get lighter. Try a big wetvac for suction, and another bowing at the top of the J pipe behind the speaker. Everytime the car gets damp, it may reconstitute the rodent and the smell may return at some level.
IronHillRestorations
Chase it with a dead cat?

First you gotta find the remains, it won't stop smelling until you find what's left of Mickey.

There are some pretty good citrus based odor control products available.

I like the idea of the chlorine bomb though, sounds effective.
computers4kids
Go for a long drive and really get things hot...heat is your friend. blowtorch.gif
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jan 19 2011, 11:45 PM) *

Go for a long drive and really get things hot...heat is your friend. blowtorch.gif

agree.gif

And than buy a couple of air freshners and hang them from your rear view mirror beerchug.gif
realred914
if it is dead in the vents,then run up the heater and dry it to a stiff leather condition.wont smell much then. once dry you might be able to leaf blower the dried mass out backwards with a powerful gas powered garden blower.

goodluck
underthetire
I have nothing to add other than...
eastbay851
remove what is left of animal. remove seats. spread 2 or 3 boxes of baking soda all over the carpets and underneath as well. let sit for a few days. vacuum up baking soda and repeat if necessary. if you have the smell in the carpets, i would just routinely dust under the seats with the baking soda. keep a pile down there and vacuum it up every month. i just can t stand the synthetic smells.
rmital
here's actually a good suggestion. forget where I heard this recently, so can't give credit....but it works.

coffee....
usually when there's a bad mildew smell in a car you could burn coffee grinds, then put them in a can, place the can in the car (not on fire of course) and let sit.

coffee is a very dominant smell and will take over any other ordor in the general area.

If you hate the smell of coffee, disreguard all of the above.
EdwardBlume
How do you get rid of rodent smell?

A: Take a shower! lol-2.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 19 2011, 08:16 AM) *

How do you get rid of rodent smell?

A: Take a shower! lol-2.gif

av-943.gif
Rod
QUOTE(realred914 @ Jan 19 2011, 03:39 PM) *

if it is dead in the vents,then run up the heater and dry it to a stiff leather condition.wont smell much then. once dry you might be able to leaf blower the dried mass out backwards with a powerful gas powered garden blower.

goodluck

To add to and complete this - Remove speaker grill, remove airhose and blow out Mickey with the above mentioned garden blower - then put some spray can lids over the open tubes smile.gif

You might even find him dead behind your speaker, hence the awful smell!!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(realred914 @ Jan 19 2011, 07:39 AM) *
run up the heater

What is that 'heater' thing you speak of? confused24.gif laugh.gif

I got headers and like i said in my first post, the heater muffler intakes are OPEN which is why i think it may be in there ...

I'll try some of the stuff suggested here. Thanks guys. beerchug.gif

Drove the 914 to work today. Nothing like the smell of dead rodent in the morning ... icon8.gif
SLITS
Uhhhhhh .... nevermind! smoke.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 19 2011, 12:31 PM) *
Uhhhhhh .... nevermind! smoke.gif

Thank you Sir! beerchug.gif
Valy
Other options:
Blow it out with compressed air from the other side of the pipe. You may try to push a ball (tennis?) through the pipes to push out whatever is in there.
If the problem is in the pipes along the longs, just seal that part of the pipe, at least for some time.

AND MOST IMPORTANT,
Dr.914 should add a tip to his book saying that if you disconnect the heat exchangers then SEAL THE OPEN PIPES to prevent rodents getting in there! Or else you'll smell like Sir Andy smile.gif icon8.gif
Dr Evil
Just put this on when you drive biggrin.gif
bandjoey
Find a local farm and ranch supply. They carry stuff to kill dead animal odors.

I remember a post where one of the vendors like Engman or Restoration sells block off covers for the tubes...you get to pick when to seal off the rat.
jt914-6
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 19 2011, 03:33 PM) *

I remember a post where one of the vendors like Engman or Restoration sells block off covers for the tubes...you get to pick when to seal off the rat.

Bill.....he's in Oakland......not Texas...... poke.gif
I have used the cut off bottoms of beer cans for block off plates.....a good reason to drink beers...... beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
Spray paint caps work to block off the heater ducts.
r_towle
I went to the hardware store and got a clear plastic flexible hose about 1.5 inches in diameter.
I took this hose (about 8 feet long) and duct taped it to the end of my shop vac nozzle (I had one that looked like a cone and went down to 1 inch)
I fed the little hose up the rear heater pipe in the enge bay with the shop vac on until I saw it come out the front tube at the speaker.
Got two mice that way...both dead.

Moth balls in the interior will get rid of the smell.
Cap the holes on both ends...they will just eat the paper tube in the car and climb in that way.

Leaving moth balls on the floor in an open container seems to keep the mice out of the car for good.

Might want to take the hose contraption mentioned above and put it on the output blower side of the shop vac when you are done...then fill the hose with mothballs
Get it right about the center of the paper noise filter muffler in there and deposit a bunch of moth balls in there, then cap it closed.

Rich
corsepervita
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Jan 18 2011, 10:05 PM) *

LOL! lol-2.gif that made my day
bandjoey
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jan 19 2011, 03:44 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 19 2011, 03:33 PM) *

Bill.....he's in Oakland......not Texas...... poke.gif
I have used the cut off bottoms of beer cans for block off plates.....a good reason to drink beers...... beerchug.gif

Yelps. I forgot that with John Wayne dead there aren't any real cowboys left in California. blink.gif
SGB
I think Griot's sells some kind of absorbent mat that would work...
Mike Bellis
Try having Amoy yell and scream at the dead rat. I bet that could wake the dead beer.gif
Kraftwerk
For all those who have never experienced a dead rodent somewhere in the car (between the dash and the engine compartment on my old car) This is a really horrible thing, you cant imagine.
Took me months to find it as it was lodged in an out of the way spot. Smell started to go away after about 18 months. Took up cigar smoking and driving with the windows down in February. Best advice is to find the corpse ASAP. Over time the smell will diminish. yikes!

realred914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 19 2011, 10:13 AM) *

QUOTE(realred914 @ Jan 19 2011, 07:39 AM) *
run up the heater

What is that 'heater' thing you speak of? confused24.gif laugh.gif

I got headers and like i said in my first post, the heater muffler intakes are OPEN which is why i think it may be in there ...

I'll try some of the stuff suggested here. Thanks guys. beerchug.gif

Drove the 914 to work today. Nothing like the smell of dead rodent in the morning ... icon8.gif

Opps, no heater.......Maybe try an electric heater directed into the smelly duct so as to help dry it out a hair drier may even be useful for this. blow a hair dryer thru the duct???

fish tank activated charcoal may help too in absorbing smells. but getting to the dead rat is a probelm

otherwise send in a small cat????

good luck
ripper911
Well, since I've been called out to answer this one... chowtime.gif

If you can find where it is, after removing the remains I'd probably use something like clorox cleanup, it really does well at removing organic matter. That is what I usually recomend for people who have a mess left in their house after someone dies. Or if you don't want to take the risk of oxidation that bleach based products bring with them, get some DSD (if you can). Dodge Sterilant and Disinfectant, it is gluteraldehyde based, and will definately kill anything that is lingering in there.

or try scrubbing bubbles.

But if you just want to cover the smell, I like a product called odor assasin.
They actually sell the orange scent in the mortuary catalogs.

I'll try to think of a few more suggestions, that you may actually be able to get your hands on. unsure.gif
6freak
Cant help you with the smell icon8.gif but to keep them out use Bounce dryer sheets everywhere when storing any auto ..something about it they dont like ..and it smells good to boot.....good luck beerchug.gif
RickS
Get the Odor Exterminator: http://www.griotsgarage.com/p2p/search/sea...vals&page=1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.