Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny drop and rebuild question.............
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
avidfanjpl
Not sure why I don't remember. Maybe because I am on the down side of 58 years old.

OK, no gears are munched according to my mekanik. He just thinks the synchro rings are SLIGHTLY chewy and need replacing. We are not talking any problems here, just old gear rings.

(108K miles and counting. Took her up to 100 tonight and I was at 4700 rpm and laughing on up the toll road at an X5 that got scared and backed off on the long uphill at 80 on the on ramp from the 91 East, but I have low profiles, so this is a 110mph max car. I still went around him so fast he slowed to watch me pass in the left ramp lane heading to 100 in no time. This car is running killer fast for 95 real ponies and a real totally original GA motor never cracked that we can find a record of from the OO or PO from 73 to 2008 still at 1971cc's with DJet)

How much should I plan for all new synchro's and necessaries/incidentals?

Someone told me he thinks it is way less than 2K with parts if I do it myself. I bought the stack tool from Mark and the dual hole plate from Pelican just in case.

Have NOT bought the 1 through 5 synchro rings, but I do have a complete gasket set, and all the seals, so I really do mean complete. Just a huge bag of crap, but it all is sitting there. Do I need something for reverse, cause it works great but I know next to nothing about 901's.

I have all new plastic fittings on the entire shifter system, but it is time to do synchro's, or so I am told.

I believe it. I will go quietly into that soft night, but only if Orangina shifts, not shits, perfectly. (At my age, a good dump is maybe better than sex.) Maybe?

I am the world's second or third-best 914 shifter at speed, well, maybe the 500th, but I cannot compete with Fred Apgar, Steve Gaglione or anyone with a 914-6 of any size, but Orangina never grinds intentionally. Just me with a lazy left leg about every 333rd shift.

But unless I really pick my spot, it is getting a tiny little bindy, yes? I know a chewy set of synchro's after this being my 6th in 35 years. I still am going to AX it in February at El Toro, but I do need to probably do this before I drop the engine and do that whole shtick.

So, Dr. Evil or anyone that really knows..............what internal organ price do I need to get from some rich bastard to cover it all, including shipping to and from SoCal????????????? 2k? 4K??? 5K????? 6K??????

How about if I do it myself? I have built 2 GA 2.0L engines (78 and 84) but never a tranny. I truly did most of the work myself, but not in a long-assed time. But I am not scared. Almost everything else on this car was done by me, except for welding by Greg Brinton, and detailing, and insanely good work by Cooper Boggs that I am just too damn old to lay on the concrete and do for a full day.

Or is there someone that is not a ToroMerde' Artiste' Extraordinaire' in SoCal that really knows how to do the whole magilla soup to nuts no shit?

I am open to honest direction, but I sort of love Dr. Evil's Mr. Clean avatar, minus the smeary part. After watching his answers, I sort of believe only a few even know his weird truths, and I do not, but I will buy the video before I yank the box and do what needs doing with a tranny drop.

SO 914WORLD...........................Hoodoo that voodoo that he do so well besides himself? Or is there a pallet to Pennsylvania (or somewhere thereabouts) in my future?

(It is late and I just drove back from LV and this is my decompression email. I was swamped with WORK since 11/22 and this is my ghastly return. So, Where is the DR? I forget. Senior Moment. True dat, I was from NJ then NYC at one time, but that was 1980/1 when Steve and I parted company for GA and MO, then FL and CA, respectively, with a long pause in the first two states. Him longer than me. And I got to CA 23 years ago July 3. Not long ago enough for me)

A little help here on my 901(?) box of rocks?

Thanks!

John Lewis
avidfanjpl - (Orangina's current owner. Being an instant paypal payer from long ago, when Elon Musk was NOT in the launcher biz, and being in the spacecraft build/launch/flightops biz for 35 years, I ought to know my facts)

Click to view attachment

YES THAT IS A BUG ON ORANGINA'S DRIVER SIDE HEADLIGHT SURROUND. I KILLED THE DAMN THING GOING FAST TONIGHT.
Richard Casto
You already mentioned this, but if you are considering doing it yourself you should buy Dr. Evil's video. If you are looking to have someone else do it, there are a number of people (including Dr. Evil and myself) who can do it without you dumping a lot of money into the project.

You ask what you might want to budget for replacement parts. Its really impossible to say until the transmission is open. It sounds like it generally shifts Ok, but with some rare grinding. I may have missed it, but what gears are you having issues with? You also have to ensure that you are not having shift linkage or clutch adjustment issues. Dr. Evil has a great write up on linkage and clutch issues.

On the assumption you don't have shift linkage and clutch adjustment issues and this really is just a transmission that is starting to get tired, what you typically see is progressive wear on the synchro rings from 1st to 5th. Usually with 1st being the worst, 2nd not at bad and much less on 3rd through 5th. After synchro rings, you typically have worn synchro hubs. Again, typically 1st is the worst, etc. If 1st gear ring and hub are bad then potentially you may have a bad 1st/Reverse slider. The 2nd/3rd and 4th/5th sliders get less wear, but they are wear items. Lastly you have bearings that might be worn/broken.

If I was to totally pick a scenario out of the air based upon your descriptions you may just need a new 1st and 2nd synchro ring (about $100 each new) and maybe a 1st gear synchro hub (about $130 each new). If you are lucky your 1st/Reverse slider and everything else might be Ok. But more info is really needed to guess accurately and the case needs to be opened up to really know for sure.

Also, how much you replace depends upon what your goals are. If you are on a tight budget, you can replace minimal parts and even shop around for used (but in good condition) parts and save a lot. If you have a bigger budget, then you can replace more items and also use a bigger mix of new vs. used parts. You asked if this would be $2K, $4K, etc. I have a hard time thinking you would spend anywhere close to this if you strategical replace items and use an intelligent mixture of new and used parts. Even if you went all new, based upon your descriptions is not going to be $2k. Again, this is a quick guess based upon your saying you are not having significant issues currently.

I am also basing this upon how I price rebuilds. I would say that if you went to a typical full service shop, their quotes might be much higher. If you are looking to ship across the country to someone like myself, you might be surprised at how reasonable something like shipping via something like Greyhound is. You can do a 914 transmission with $500 insurance coast to coast for something like $85 or so.

Feel free to PM or call if you have any questions.

Richard
charliew
I'm 66 and lay under cars almost weekly. I say do it yourself if you have the time. Get the video. You will be proud of yourself kinda sorta like when you used to have sex. Course if you are like me it gets way more involved with while the trannys out other things.
Dr Evil
Yikes, you guys write too much.

Below in my signature is a link to my 31 pages. Most rebuild come in at about $900-1200 total less shipping (about $160 round trip). I still have a few DVDs left, but they are going smile.gif

I save people a but load of $$ by using used parts where appropriate and where they agree to it. Never an issue biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Oh ya, to answer your question about what I charge - $500 labor plus parts and shipping. The link below addresses this in more detail. Let me know if you have questions. That Rich Casto guy, he smells funny tongue.gif
r_towle
I dont know how close you are to the Cap'n but he is in southern CA also...might be worth asking him also.

Rich
Cevan
I was in a similar situation and I ended up removing the gearstack (easy to do) and shipping that to Dr. Evil, along with good, used 4th/5th synchros and a set of dogteeth I removed from an extra 901 box I had. I got the gearstack back all ready to put back in. Price was extremely reasonable. Shipping the gearstack is a lot cheaper than the whole box. I replaced all the seals myself. Shifts like a dream now.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 19 2011, 05:20 PM) *

That Rich Casto guy, he smells funny tongue.gif

Only after spending all day in the garage! The wife is tired of the worn out/old transmission oil smell. icon8.gif

Richard
Tom_T
Whew Johnnie & they say I talk/write a lot! biggrin.gif

I've got the Doc's video if you want to borrow it. Let me know.

If you're like me, it's the time on the "real job" that cuts into time to do stuff like this, but at least you don't have a "honey-do" list! laugh.gif

So the original Doc is looking for extra work I hear, since his wife went back to school or something, so you could ship it off to him & get it back ready to re-install.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Ur Bud Tom
///////
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Jan 19 2011, 09:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 19 2011, 05:20 PM) *

That Rich Casto guy, he smells funny tongue.gif

Only after spending all day in the garage! The wife is tired of the worn out/old transmission oil smell. icon8.gif

Richard

Ya, I teach ways to annoy ones wife biggrin.gif
76-914
I got the Doc's video, too. And I'll loan it to you as soon as the Doc pm's me that he's received your $$$. And if you do that, I'll help you rebuild it. I'm on the other side of the hill from you, though. He's a good guy and has a Monster student loan to pay off.
avidfanjpl
OK

So I was on a kind of ambien ramble, but no ambien, as I was mostly awake for 5 days and it took the toll on me. We had a major teleport event on Friday. Not fun.

But better than losing a satellite.

I do need to get the tranny done, and I have info and choices I never knew. I will contact you, Dr. Evil for the copy of my own when I have Saturday night to me.

And Mr. Blue Sky, I will yak with you too.

I like what I have heard!

Tom T knows I am not a BSA on fixing things. I will have some help when I get something I can watch, and I will get this thing fixed, and PA is not so far.

I don't understand anything yet, but I will when I buy it, view it and get coaching from Tom and others!

Thanks!

John
Dr Evil
thumb3d.gif we are here to help.
stugray
avidfanjpl,

"We had a major teleport event on Friday. Not fun.
But better than losing a satellite."

More info? You in Aerospace?

I have done some work at JPL. What are you flying?

Stu
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.