Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best brake pads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SGB
I need new pads up front. I love the Hawk pads on my BMW. I can't find any info that they make one that would fit the /4 teener.

I've used Mintex and Pagid. Got 19mm master cyl. Blue fluid. I could DE the car again in April, but the last time, braking sucked. Probably really heat buildup, since I had brakes for about the first 3 laps, but only frustration and fear for subsequent tours.

5 lug would be sweet, but isn't even a remote plan.

I've not seen much about the BMW caliper mod in a while. Seems like lack of proportioning valve may have hurt that approach.

I'm looking for ideas. Good ones mostly.

Anybody got a hard stopping /4? How didja do it (besides press on the brake pedal)?
underthetire
QUOTE(SGB @ Jan 19 2011, 10:03 AM) *

I need new pads up front. I love the Hawk pads on my BMW. I can't find any info that they make one that would fit the /4 teener.

I've used Mintex and Pagid. Got 19mm master cyl. Blue fluid. I could DE the car again in April, but the last time, braking sucked. Probably really heat buildup, since I had brakes for about the first 3 laps, but only frustration and fear for subsequent tours.

I've not seen much about the BMW caliper mod in a while. Seems like lack of perportioning valve may have hurt that approach.

Anybody got a hard stopping /4? How didja do it (besides press on the brake pedal)?

Hit the fence biggrin.gif

I asked the same question, and it seemed like porterfields (sp) were among the favorite.
tradisrad
porterfield are working well for me
Rod
Yes standard discs and Porterfields are wonderful..
detoxcowboy
porterfields..
DanT
Porterfield R4-Ss work great...good hot or cold, little dust and work well on track/AX or street.
Dave_Darling
They're good, but they won't solve the "no pedal" problem. That is caused by the brake fluid boiling, and the pads can only do so much to keep heat out of the fluid.

You need good quality fluid. FRESH good quality fluid. 6 months old is too old; I would suggest a fluid flush the weekend before an event! I have heard that some fluids, like the $$ Motul stuff, can be older and still work well.

If that fails, you need to get air onto the disks and calipers. A-arm scoops can work; ducts from the front of the car can work better. Both require some fabrication and creativity to get the air to go where you want it to.

Finally, use less brake and the brakes will last longer...

--DD
bandjoey
Related Question:
Hay Dave. What about for AX? Do you think a flush is required for AX - monthly - semi annually - annually?? Should I be looking at Porterfield's for AX too? Thanks for the additional info.

Eric_Shea
Porterfield R4S's and ATE Super Blue.
SGB
Use less brakes.

Haha

Actually I had week old Super Blue in a well flushed system. But the Portefields sound like the knob!

I'll check with Pelican...
And maybe learn to use less brakes.

Thanks for the expert advise fellows. I've never heard of Porterfields. smile.gif
My car is pretty low, with an LE airdam. Does that restrict cooling air to the rotors much?
Tom_T
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 19 2011, 02:44 PM) *

agree.gif

... and our modest 914 brake guru also sells them as a member vendor, so click on Eric's PMB banner ad or sig to get some! biggrin.gif

IIRC Pelican doesn't sell them anyway, last time I looked.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 19 2011, 01:27 PM) *

Related Question:
Hay Dave. What about for AX? Do you think a flush is required for AX - monthly - semi annually - annually?? Should I be looking at Porterfield's for AX too? Thanks for the additional info.

AutoX doesn't get your brakes hot enough to worry about. Any reasonable pad and fluid will be fine.

You may be able to brake a little later by using something like Porterfield pads, but the difference in lap time will be really tiny.

--DD
DanT
later braking, less braking and sooner back on the gas with a good apex, is the way to faster times....and cheaper in the brake replacement department. biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 19 2011, 04:44 PM) *

agree.gif I followed Eric's advice long ago, and never looked back. great brake pads!
Eric_Shea
the difference in lap time will be really tiny

The difference between a million-dollar horse and a thousand-dollar horse is often a nose. wink.gif
realred914
QUOTE(SGB @ Jan 19 2011, 10:03 AM) *

I've not seen much about the BMW caliper mod in a while. Seems like lack of perportioning valve may have hurt that approach.

Porterfeld Race Pads!!!!!They stop VERY well!!!!!noisey and dusty, but they reallywork!!!
ChrisFoley
I prefer KFP Magnum pads.
Chris,

Is that for the white car or the race car? Or do you run that brand on both?

Ken

I have run Porterfield's and ATE blue for two years now( ax season's included). Brakes look hardly worn. I do tend to be one to use later/less brake tho??
And I am running bigger than stock caliper's...A's in front and M's in rear(stock PV)
jjackson
Since any reasonable pad will do, maybe I should get a refund on my carbotechs.J
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Jan 20 2011, 01:47 PM) *

Chris,

Is that for the white car or the race car? Or do you run that brand on both?

Ken

Both cars, two different compounds.
The race car needs pads that work best at very high temperatures. The pads have a very high coefficient of friction too.
The street car has street/AX pads that work best when warmed up just a little bit. They have a moderate c/f, they don't squeal and they make less dust.
Both pad sets are built with a ceramic heat barrier between the friction compound and the steel backing.
I started buying KFP pads for my race car in 1995 and I've been very happy with the results. Now I sell them - Made in Ohio, USA. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.