Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pics of brakelight switch?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
corsepervita
Alright so I'm getting the 914 ready and working out all the kinks after the electrical mishap.

I got it all working, everything tested out fine but I got a weird reaction from my wife... "Your brake lights aren't working did you know that?" and i said "nonsense... look" and i'd go push to the floor and they'd come on.

What I wasn't realizing is that it would have to be quite far down before it came on.

So of course, i took things apart and looked at the switch and it either looks bent, or something is wrong with the switch. It has to depress quite far before it'll actually kick on. I thought "Hm that's odd."

If I try and adjust it by moving it further down the large washer that it is on that goes down with the pedal, it'll actually sometimes go too far and past the washer and bam, no light at all.

So I re-adjust it and then it only goes on once it's far down.

Although I'm assuming the following shouldn't be the case: Should it have lateral play? I am thinking my switch may be busted. Maybe when I was doing the harness I bumped and bent or broke it, because it has some lateral play instead of going back and forth.

Anyone have a picture so I can compare?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
It is actually engaged all of the time and the pedal holds it off. It is sprung to be on, so when connected should be on until you push the spring loaded finger and then it turns off. I would suggest that if it does not work this way it is bad.

QUOTE(corsepervita @ Jan 19 2011, 03:07 PM) *

Alright so I'm getting the 914 ready and working out all the kinks after the electrical mishap.

I got it all working, everything tested out fine but I got a weird reaction from my wife... "Your brake lights aren't working did you know that?" and i said "nonsense... look" and i'd go push to the floor and they'd come on.

What I wasn't realizing is that it would have to be quite far down before it came on.

So of course, i took things apart and looked at the switch and it either looks bent, or something is wrong with the switch. It has to depress quite far before it'll actually kick on. I thought "Hm that's odd."

If I try and adjust it by moving it further down the large washer that it is on that goes down with the pedal, it'll actually sometimes go too far and past the washer and bam, no light at all.

So I re-adjust it and then it only goes on once it's far down.

Although I'm assuming the following shouldn't be the case: Should it have lateral play? I am thinking my switch may be busted. Maybe when I was doing the harness I bumped and bent or broke it, because it has some lateral play instead of going back and forth.

Anyone have a picture so I can compare?

jt914-6
To adjust the switch....depress the pedal and put a 4mm (0.16") spacer between the pedal stop and the assm. stop...loosen the adjuster lock nut and screw the adjuster screw until the lights come on.....tighten lock nut...remove 4mm spacer and test lights...should come on just after pedal is depressed......click on this link and click on the switch pic... http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...l_pg1.htm#item2
detoxcowboy
Click to view attachment
corsepervita
Sooooo it sounds like i hooked it up backwards? (edit) no that's how mine looks... man what in the world.

I'll bench test the switch to see if i can duplicate.
type47
I think it's a simple switch and you can't hook it up backwards. The "lever" from the switch should "ride" on he washer looking metal part so when you push on the brake pedal, the lever moves to operate the switch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.