Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Salvaged title?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chuckc
What are the cons to a salvaged title if the 914 is in running condition with very minimal rust?
peace,
Chuck
sean_v8_914
lower resale value. lower declared insurable value
carr914
What Sean said !

Now make sure you know why it has the Salvage Title - Was it Stolen, Flooded, Wreaked? If repaired correctly and the price is right, everything is good
914itis
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 20 2011, 09:59 AM) *

What Sean said !

Now make sure you know why it has the Salvage Title - Was it Stolen, Flooded, Wreaked? If repaired correctly and the price is right, everything is good

In NY State, you will have to purhase the parts that was damadged from a legal vendor ( auto parts or body store, licenced auto salvage) they may not accept parts purchased from members here. Then you have to make an appointment for inspection to obtain a title since you can't register the car with the salvage title.
Once you complete the process, you will be given the proper paper work to register the car.
http://www.nysdmv.com/salvage.htm

Hope this helps
monkeyboy
Some insurance companies won't get near a car with a salvage title.
chuckc
thanks. That was all very helpful. Looking through the craiglist adds I found this guy (http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2157353014.html) and sent an e-mail to the seller. Not sure why it has a salvage title, I'll have to ask him when I call later. If I bought it, it would be sight unseen...kind-of scary.

peace,
chuck
carr914
QUOTE(chuckc @ Jan 20 2011, 11:48 AM) *

If I bought it, it would be sight unseen...kind-of scary.

peace,
chuck

Before you buy it, Ask someone from here to check it out for you.

T.C.

bandjoey
Nice looking car.
Death taxes and 914 rust are the 3 always in life. Don't buy unless you get an inspection by someone knowing 914s or you're already planning on a total rebuild.

Rust really hides on these cars. Check the classifieds on. The 914 sites too. welcome.png
Kirmizi
You've got plenty of local people in and around Denver, might want to contact one or two and ask them to do a PPI.
Mike
JRust
I have had a few salvadged title vehicles. As stated the lower resale is one of the biggest. Still that also means you may get a nicer car for less. MY 74 LE has a salvadged title. Sucks as it had no major damage. One fender was basically torn from the top of the turn signal to just above the front wheel midway. Obviously they clipped something. Sure as hell did not warrant salvadging the car. Still many cars get "totalled" by insurance companies that should not be. Pretty easy fix & inexpensive with the right friends smile.gif .

Basically I would have no problem buying a salvadged car. I would not do it sight unseen though. Well that isn't totally true. For the right price I might evilgrin.gif
chuckc
I just spoke Nathan, the cars owner. He says the Salvage title is because it was sold by an auto shop to cover the PO bill/debt; as far as he knows it wasn't wrecked. He's owned it for 2+ yrs. He said there is some rust on the fire wall but the battery tray is fine, some small spots on the longs but he gets no flex when it's jacked up. I asked him if the doors open and close fine with the top off; he said they did.

I'll see if someone from the Denver area can PPI it for me like several of you suggested, then maybe I'll be on my way to owning my dream car!
peace,
chuck
914itis
QUOTE(chuckc @ Jan 20 2011, 05:55 PM) *

I just spoke Nathan, the cars owner. He says the Salvage title is because it was sold by an auto shop to cover the PO bill/debt; as far as he knows it wasn't wrecked. He's owned it for 2+ yrs. He said there is some rust on the fire wall but the battery tray is fine, some small spots on the longs but he gets no flex when it's jacked up. I asked him if the doors open and close fine with the top off; he said they did.

I'll see if someone from the Denver area can PPI it for me like several of you suggested, then maybe I'll be on my way to owning my dream car!
peace,
chuck

I am not sure if they call it a salvage in other states, but here in NY they would issue a regular title to the owner. are you planning on registering the car in NY?

If so they may consider the salvage title a wreck car, and ask you to repair the damage.. in your case the damege does not exist....do your homework..

Cap'n Krusty
One of my TDis has a salvage title. I bought it when it didn't sell on Ebay for half the real value. It had already had it's brake and light inspection and was registered. My insurance wanted a few pictures and a statement from a shop (guess who owns a shop?) saying they'd inspected it and everything was as it should be. Actually, I had a friend in the biz write the letter so I'd be on the up-and-up with the insurance company. Because Jetta TDi wagons are rare and in demand, I would have no problem selling it for a lot more than I paid for it.

The Cap'n
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(ppetion @ Jan 20 2011, 04:51 PM) *

I am not sure if they call it a salvage in other states, but here in NY they would issue a regular title to the owner. are you planning on registering the car in NY?

If so they may consider the salvage title a wreck car, and ask you to repair the damage.. in your case the damege does not exist....do your homework..

We should take Jamie's car (JRust) to NY and register it. Then send it back to Oregon with a clean title. confused24.gif beer.gif aktion035.gif
GeorgeRud
I seem to remember that there were some states that didn't care, and basically retitled these cars, so I'm not sure how much you can really tell from these titles.

Either way, you are obviously better off with a straight title, but if the price is right????????????????????
chuckc

Not sure if I would register it here or not...maybe eventually but I'm not too keen on street parking a 914 here the way people aim for bumpers when parallel parking. ':) My plan is to park it in my father's garage in PA and work on it there with him on weekends, maybe even leave it there when it's finished. Then use it for trips to the Adorondaks and the gunks in the summer. Not sure how my insurance is going to handle that either, I'll give GEICO a call. I will definitely look more into the title and registration in both states.
914itis
QUOTE(chuckc @ Jan 20 2011, 11:44 PM) *

Not sure if I would register it here or not...maybe eventually but I'm not too keen on street parking a 914 here the way people aim for bumpers when parallel parking. ':) My plan is to park it in my father's garage in PA and work on it there with him on weekends, maybe even leave it there when it's finished. Then use it for trips to the Adorondaks and the gunks in the summer. Not sure how my insurance is going to handle that either, I'll give GEICO a call. I will definitely look more into the title and registration in both states.

Geico ios not the best insurance for this type of car, as it qualifies as an antique. I have libefrty mutual on my others and they quoted me $900 yr., the clearly told me that it is not their market. I called American collectors insurance and I only pay 150 a year for a $12000 agreed value. but keep in mind that they only insure over 25 yrs old.

Hope this helps
bandjoey
http://newyork-ny.americanlisted.com/cars/...4_17514945.html

I'll be if you look closer to home you'll be happier. Whatever, hope you find a car you can drive and be happy with.
chuckc

Geico ios not the best insurance for this type of car, as it qualifies as an antique. I have libefrty mutual on my others and they quoted me $900 yr., the clearly told me that it is not their market. I called American collectors insurance and I only pay 150 a year for a $12000 agreed value. but keep in mind that they only insure over 25 yrs old.

Hope this helps

That is seriously fantastic information. If and when I get a 914 I owe you a beer.
carr914
Lots of Collector Car Insurance companies out there - Do a Search here on the Subject and read up on Agreed and Stated Values, they are different.

And if that car doesn't work out, check the Classified here for cars. In most cases, Members other than the Seller will know the car and can/will give opinions.
chuckc
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 21 2011, 06:21 AM) *

Lots of Collector Car Insurance companies out there - Do a Search here on the Subject and read up on Agreed and Stated Values, they are different.

And if that car doesn't work out, check the Classified here for cars. In most cases, Members other than the Seller will know the car and can/will give opinions.

Will do thanks.
I sent an e-mail to Tat2dphreak about his '72 914 with the rebuilt 2056, speaking of members cars. It's close to my price range and seemingly should allow me to get more familiar with the 914 without having to worry too much about the mechanics right away. Plus, if he works w/ me a tad bit, I could double the current mileage on the drive home.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.