Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT! Need a GOOD parallel printer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cap'n Krusty
The neighbor operates a smog station, and his printer is on the way out. We benefit greatly from his services and expertise, and I'm trying to help him find a good working printer that will fit in his machine. The service company sells new ones, but you have to go into the full bend over mode. He can't go into the machine and change anything, hardware or software, because that constitutes "tampering" and the state will shut him down permanently. I know there those of you who, like me, never throw anything away. Anyone here that might be able to help us?

Thanks, The Cap'n
rick 918-S
I'm not the guy that would have a printer but it may be helpful to know what brand and model he has now. Otherwise he may not have the correct printer drivers in his computer.

Same as ordering car parts:

Year, make ,model, stick, auto, A/C, etc... biggrin.gif
MBowman325
Indeed - is it like a Microline 320 or other impact printer or older laser or?

(Sometimes it surprises me how many microlines are still in use)
rohar
Might help to know what's wrong with it if we can figure out what kind of printer it is.

If it's an Oki or Epson, there were a million produced (I think they may still be making them). The're pretty bullet proof except for the heads. Heads are not that expensive and relatively easy to replace.
underthetire
Ebay is usually a good source for old hardware to.
r_towle
if he cannot change the SW settings, he cannot add a printer driver.
He needs to buy the exact same model printer that is kaput.
Printers can be repaired fairly easily...typically its just the rollers and the large amounts of dust fromthe shop that make them behave poorly.
Tell him to get a cover for the printer after its fixed.

Post the make and model of the printer....even the serial number so we can find one for him..
Even if he gets the same make, but the newer model, he will need a new printer driver and he may need to get the service guy to come out to install it.

To bad, I threw out about 5 or six of these finally...

They are out there, and I am sure a few of us Internet saavy guys will be able to locate the exact printer for him once we know what it is.

RIch
76-914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 20 2011, 10:20 AM) *

I'm not the guy that would have a printer but it may be heelpful to know what brand and model he has now. Otherwise he may not have the correct printer drivers in his computer.

poke.gif Hey Cap't, I couldn't help but notice the grace and good manners of those attempting to assist you. Hope that doesn't tarnish any of your Crust. lol-2.gif
quadracerx
Once you know the printer model and make....I can probably help...or at least lead you to someone who can....

Steve
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 20 2011, 01:04 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 20 2011, 10:20 AM) *

I'm not the guy that would have a printer but it may be heelpful to know what brand and model he has now. Otherwise he may not have the correct printer drivers in his computer.

poke.gif Hey Cap't, I couldn't help but notice the grace and good manners of those attempting to assist you. Hope that doesn't tarnish any of your Crust. lol-2.gif

I just yell "INCOMING" and hide under the desk ............

The Cap'n

(Waiting to hear from my neighbor. He's been on a road test to set the monitors on a POS somethingorother since 11 o'clock.)
Gint
I think I still have an Epson LQ870 down stairs. If I do, it's yours for shipping John. It will need a ribbon.
Jeffs9146
I have an old HP Laserjet 2200D!

Free and includes a new cartage and software!!
realred914
You got to love the states smog mandates. totally unreasonable imposition on both the comsumer and bussiness. Go CARB!!!!!(to hell that is)
r_towle
Cap,n
My son is a licensed inspector here in MA and a pretty saavy computer guy.
From what he told me, the systems are locked up tight...the end user cannot do anything without having the tech contractor come in and do it.

So, you would need to obtain the same exact printer for the system, or buy a new one and hire the tech guys to come install it.
I suspect the tech guys wont allow you to install any other printer than the one they use just so they dont have to support 1Mm different printers...that is really understandable.

To be cheap, get the make, model and serial number printer.
Its going to be the cheapest route for your friend.
Anything else, even if its free, will either cost to much to get it installed, or wont be allowed and will end up in the dumpster anyways.

Easiest thing to do is call a printer tech company, or bring it to a service shop and have them clean it and replace what is broken.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.