Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What a difference a few years make
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
When I was restoring my last 2 914's (2002 - 2007) I was bidding on parts weekly and getting out bid plenty of times. Every night there would be 1000 - 3000 listings of parts for bidding. Looking tonight just for shits and giggles I was surprised to see under 400 listings for bids and the vast majority of them had 0 bids. I guess the restoring craze is really slow.
The buy it now market on Ebay is another story. Almost 5000 items by mostly vendors trying to sell their 914 parts.
It's a different world now.
914Sixer
My favorite is the stuff listed for 914's that do not even go on them. My other complaint is you can not find the individuals selling parts for the all the crap from dealers. It is not about the individual seller now, they have driven them away.
computers4kids
When I was into buying and selling 914 parts to fund my habit, I mean hobby I did pretty well. For the most part it took care of most of the major expenses. The interesting part is I had setup an RSS feed that would automatically deliver 914 stuff for sale on craigslist on the desktop of my computer and phone. It kept me connected to a lot of good deals within seconds of them being posted.

The last two years with the economy tanking and dispendable income at a all time low, it has been a different story; the craigslist market has been flooded daily with listings of 914 cars and parts. The sad thing is (at least for a seller) is guys are selling thier cars at prices that make me shudder.

I still like to look at my RSS feed now and again, but not with the same "looking for a great deal" enthusiasm..."there's way too many of them now." I'm sure once the economy turns around, we're going to see a spike in our car values as well as parts. Ebay on the other hand has become another story...just try to search for brake calipers (any make or model) and see what you find. mad.gif Like it has been said...vendors.
Root_Werks
Evil-Bay and Paypal. There is a reason my Evil-Bay account is 14 years old with less than 90 feedbacks. I find I use it less and less over time. Kinda surprised I still even have it active.

Don't buy it unless you can put your hands on it.

rmital
914 parts link

with the link about I get over 2,000 items. did really dig, but most seem to be for 914s flag.gif
r_towle
I consider it such a PITA to deal with that I would just as soon sell a truckload of parts for a single dicounted price and let someone else deal with the one offs and wierd people that are looking for a nickle off.

Rich
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Excellent point as usual with you Rich. Evilbay and payFOUL has cheapened the 914 market and opened it to bottom feeders

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 21 2011, 08:31 AM) *

I consider it such a PITA to deal with that I would just as soon sell a truckload of parts for a single dicounted price and let someone else deal with the one offs and wierd people that are looking for a nickle off.

Rich

turboman808
Ebay made a huge change starting on the first. You sell over 20k and it's reported to the IRS. Lets see how many stores shut down by march and find a new way to sell.

The good thing is this will drive prices up. Alot of people sells a truck load of stuff and make maybe 2-5 dollars a sale. 200k in sales and only a 30k profit and now the IRS breathing down your back. I really think thats gonna drive a ton of people away. Flea markets and craigslist are gonna be big this year.

Rich if you want to give me that truck load of parts I will sell it on ebay for ya. I don't know which part is which so I guarantee it will be labeled wrong. But I take really good pictures so you guys can figure it out and laugh at my listings all day long.

r_towle
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jan 21 2011, 11:00 AM) *

Ebay made a huge change starting on the first. You sell over 20k and it's reported to the IRS. Lets see how many stores shut down by march and find a new way to sell.

The good thing is this will drive prices up. Alot of people sells a truck load of stuff and make maybe 2-5 dollars a sale. 200k in sales and only a 30k profit and now the IRS breathing down your back. I really think thats gonna drive a ton of people away. Flea markets and craigslist are gonna be big this year.

Rich if you want to give me that truck load of parts I will sell it on ebay for ya. I don't know which part is which so I guarantee it will be labeled wrong. But I take really good pictures so you guys can figure it out and laugh at my listings all day long.

I am serious, are you?

Rich
URY914
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jan 21 2011, 07:04 AM) *

Evil-Bay and Paypal. There is a reason my Evil-Bay account is 14 years old with less than 90 feedbacks. I find I use it less and less over time. Kinda surprised I still even have it active.

Don't buy it unless you can put your hands on it.

I agree. I sell some things (non 914) on CL now only. I want cash and want it quick.
GeorgeRud
Might see more action on Samba. A friend of mine has had better luck selling Porsche parts there than on other sites.
RJMII
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jan 21 2011, 09:00 AM) *

I'd help you ID parts. smile.gif
Spoke
Once I found 914world, 914club, AA, PP, and TheSamba and related vendors, I haven't bought a thing on ebay. Nor have I sold anything there either.

The one benefit of ebay however, for the seller, is that you could reap a hell of a profit off of a part you never would get here. For example, I sold a basic 914 steering wheel on ebay that went for $75 by the time all the bidding stopped. I probably would have sold the wheel for $25 on this site and been happy.
tracks914
QUOTE(rmital @ Jan 21 2011, 07:08 AM) *

914 parts link

with the link about I get over 2,000 items. did really dig, but most seem to be for 914s flag.gif

Checked your link, over 2000 items, only 202 of them are for bidding on. The rest are "buy now", and most of those are vendors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.