Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where are you getting your Koni reds rebuilt?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
Just spoke with TMS in AZ.. He no longer rebuilds Konis. Other than Koni; $125 + parts per shock, have you guys found any good rebuilders for these?

Thanks, Tod
Eric_Shea
I used TrueChoice but, they're not cheap either.

Hopfully Jeff will weigh on, he had the names of a few places.

IPB Image
bandjoey
I replaced mine with new Bilsteins. The rebuild by Koni was too high. I'm very happy with the ride now.
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1973/pors...k_absorber.html
Tom_T
That may not be far out of line, if what you end up with is essentially a "new" old-school Koni, then that's about what new-school Konis will cost.

IIRC their rebuilds also come with a warranty as rebuilt, but not sure if it's for the life, as with Bilsteins.

Tod, these old school Koni Red SDs always were more expensive than even Bilstiens &much more than Boges OEM-base-equipment replacements, even back in the day. I think my rear pair were about $75 back in `80, and Bils were about $50-ish. IMHO, this rebuild cost is in line with that - plus inflation for 30 years, current new ones' cost, & for a full-on rebuild.

Tod, can you plz PM me with the Koni rebuild center's contact info (I've misplaced it or lost the bookmark), for my future reference on doing mine.
TIA - Tom
///////
tod914
Tom I posted the Koni info in the Originality forum along with the paints that they use in a prior thread. Let me know if you need the link. Should be near the top.
My thoughts atm, are to have the reds which are on the car, rebuilt (just the rears) and sell the 4 Koni yellows that I picked up over the fall for what I paid for them. Have to look, but I think it was $450.00. Part of a local guys project that he decided sell. New shocks, no receipt, and all their associated hardware.
Eric, wow those are stunning! Looks like it was money well spent. Mine don't have the adjustment valve on the bottom. I'll contact them for priceing. Thanks.
Bill, I understand the new Bils are quite nice. Got a good deal on these yellows I have sitting in a box, so kind of deciding on which way to go. Thinking keeping it vintage being only the rears are fatigues atm.
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 21 2011, 02:50 PM) *

Tom I posted the Koni info in the Originality forum along with the paints that they use in a prior thread. Let me know if you need the link.

Yeah, I'd appreciate that link, as I didn't see it in the first 3 pgs. of O&H topics, but will save it to my saved topics after I get it from you.
TIA beerchug.gif

Hey, did you stop selling the rocker rivets? confused24.gif

If so, was it cuz they're NLA from your supplier, or you're just not doing them any more? confused24.gif

If the former, maybe provide the supplier in a O&H or Garage post, so others can source them. type.gif

Sure glad I got extras from you before! biggrin.gif
tod914
Tom, the rivets NLA, they broke the mold. None of the other manufacturers had the size I needed. Too expensive to have a mold remade. I might readdress this comes Spring. Too many other things on my plate right now.
Thread is top of the page under the "shock restoration help" topic started by me in Originality.
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 24 2011, 12:50 PM) *

Tom, the rivets NLA, they broke the mold. None of the other manufacturers had the size I needed. Too expensive to have a mold remade. I might readdress this comes Spring. Too many other things on my plate right now.
Thread is top of the page under the "shock restoration help" topic started by me in Originality.

Thanx Tod - found that thread - great info there!

Others may want to look there too (esp. Post #7):
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=114710&st=

I hope they broke that mold accidentally, and not to stop competition!?
... otherwise they should've sold it to you.

BTW, if an accident, then you may want to check with them to get the old broken molds to use for templates for new ones, or they may be able to be modified to do smaller batches in the remaining "good" portion. Just a thought to check now, before they chuck them.

Also hang onto a batch of the rivets for mold making.

Mikey914/Mark W. has a lot of experience with that stuff, and may be able to help you as well.

Just some Thotz! smile.gif
tod914

Good idea Tom. Going on memory here, they could reproduce the Porsche piece but, had a 50k piece min. plus 5k tooling fee. If I can't find a suiteable replacement, I'll touch base with Mark later this year. Checked with over 20 manufacturers thus far. All the data is on my newer computer, which is down.
Thanks for posting the link. When I get pricing from the other shock rebuilders, I'll add it in.
tod914
Jeff was kind enough to respond. He mentioned Jason at Paragon rebuilds them, and also Truechoice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.