Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gearbox
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Niklas
Hello!

My gearbox looks like it is both sideshift and tailshift in the same gearbox.
It is now working as a sideshift but the tailshiftparts are still there.

How is it possible and what gearbox is that ??

Niklas
SirAndy
QUOTE(Niklas @ Jan 21 2011, 11:40 AM) *

You can convert a tailshift to a sideshift. My guess would be someone tried to do just that ... shades.gif
pcar916
QUOTE(Niklas @ Jan 21 2011, 11:40 AM) *

Niklas

Both tailpieces fit on the side shift version. But it can't be both internally. When the tailshift rear cover is installed on a sideshift box there are some holes that have to be plugged, or they can be used to extract oil to a cooler... or to install a temperature probe.

In the latter case I'd rather collect temp from somewhere closer to the R&P. beerchug.gif
Bruce Hinds
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a sideshift and someone broke the tail cone by the mounting ear and replaced it with a tail shift cone.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jan 21 2011, 11:49 AM) *
When the tailshift rear cover is installed on a sideshift box there are some holes that have to be plugged...

One easy way to plug the largest hole in the tailshift tail cover, when used on a side-shift transmission, is to leave the shift selector in it.

My guess is that either this is a converted transmission, or a side-shifter that broke a tail cover and had it replaced.

Which of the gear selector bits is hooked up?

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.