Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tuff914
Hi guys,
Been thinking about a 911 for a while now, had my eye on a couple on line.
One a 81/82 "C" program car has been for sale for a little while, guy lives in a small
town about 2.5-->3hrs drive from me.
All of a sudden price has dropped by 1/3 making it an absolute bargain(IMO) I was
ready to drive up this weekend and probably buy it.
Then I remembered this town was badly affected by the recent floods here in
Queensland, Australia. Now I doubt when I call him he is going to admit the car went
under(he might, small town people are usually good folk).
In his defense maybe it didnt, but why the massive price drop? My question is how
do I approach this without getting him offside, and what do I look for to determine
if it indeed did go under. I'm sure he would have cleaned it up nice.
All advice appreciated not only flood but what else do I look for in this particular model.
Thanks
John
RFoulds
Maybe price drop due to needing cash, because fo the hardship caused by flood.

Flood damage is pretty obvious, even when cleaned up. Look under seats. SLide the seat all the way forward, and check closely at the carpet edges around the seat rails. and see if there is any moisture or mildew.
stugray
there will also usually be mud inside the wheel/fender wells.

My recent 914 had petrified bat guano in the fender wells ( that's an Arizona car for you ;-)

Stu
willamp
Looking for water under floor mats etc is an obvious one. Another is new interrior upholstery and/or musty smell in the interrior. Some less obvious things to check are to look at head and tail light assemblies to see if there is water in any of them. Another one I've heard of is to unplug some electrical connectors in the engine compartment, trunk or under the dash, and see if they're wet inside. This is a sure sign and one most of the people trying to fix up a flooded car don't think of. And certainly drive the car.

Hope this helps
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.