Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing Rear Suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdArango
Hey Everyone,

Can you guys give me the heads up on the best way to remove the rear suspension system? It would be nice if their is a tread or a link that you guys may know about or pics would be great!!

Thanks!

ED
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(EdArango @ Jan 21 2011, 12:59 PM) *

Hey Everyone,

Can you guys give me the heads up on the best way to remove the rear suspension system? It would be nice if their is a tread or a link that you guys may know about or pics would be great!!

Thanks!

ED

Unbolt the top of the strut.
Unbolt the inboard pivot nut.
Unbolt the outer camber block, 3 bolts.

It will fall out after that and unbolt the rest on the ground.
Eric_Shea
Just bolts... kinda like what Mike posted. Make sure you get the axles out first as well.
pcar916
... and mark up where everything is now so your alignment is a little easier afterward. beerchug.gif
r_towle
use an impact gun on the outer bolts or they may break.
and speaking from experience..they really suck to drill out.
Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 21 2011, 01:52 PM) *

agree.gif

Undo brake line and ebrake cable

Disconnect swaybar, if present.

Four bolts for either CV to get the axle off.

The top shock nut has a bend washer to lock it in. Flatten that out and use a impact to remove the nut.

Three bolts at the front of the a-arm, one for the pivot mount.

smash.gif
tscrihfield
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 21 2011, 04:52 PM) *

and speaking from experience..they really suck to drill out.
Rich

agree.gif

Soak the crap out of them with PB Blaster a few times! Or WD40 whichever you like...
stugray
Nobody mentioned that IF you intend to take the axle out of the hub, you should loosen the wheel nut BEFORE removing the rear arm.

Been there done that it is a PITA.

If someone holds the brakes while a second person holds the axle with a pipe wrench, you can usually get them loose with just one grunt and one fart per side (after some penetrating oil;-)

Stu
Jeffs9146
You can also leave the strut attached at the top and just unbolt it at the bottom on the swing arm!
URY914
I put my floor jack under the arm when I unscrew the shock shaft nut. It takes the weight off the nut. After the nut is off I lower the arm with the jack.
6freak
best way!like everyone says,, easiest way ....TORCH av-943.gif
phillstek
QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 22 2011, 09:54 AM) *

you can usually get them loose with just one grunt and one fart per side (after some penetrating oil;-)

Stu

lol-2.gif
Dave_Darling
The easiest way is just to let the car sit out in the rain; the tin-worm will remove the suspension for you!! wink.gif

The real way is pretty much what everyone else has said. Use PB Blaster or Aero Kroyl on all of the nuts and bolts--WD-40 is not a penetrating oil and is not good enough. For the three bolts that hold the outer trailing arm mount onto the chassis, go to the top side of the bolts and remove the plastic plugs, and get some of the penetrating oil in there.

I would:
- Break loose the wheel bolts
- Unbolt the top of the shock
- Raise the car and support it solidly
- Remove the wheel
- Disconnect the brake lines (this can be a really painfully difficult step!!!)
- Unbolt the inboard CV joint and disconnect it from the transmission
- Remove the nut holding the inboard end of the trailing arm to the body
- Remove the three bolts holding the outboard end of the trailing arm to the body
- Lower away

The half-shaft will come out with the trailing arm this way.

If you're just replacing the springs/struts, all you have to do is unbolt the top and the bottom of the strut, and leave pretty much everything else together.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.