Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lowering kit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
I ran across this car on Craigslist and the ad says it has a "3 inch lowering kit." Hmmm.

I have adjusted the front ride height with the torsion bar adjustments on my car, but not rear. Rear would require adjustable coilovers or relocating the mounts like Chris' kit from Tangerine, right?

I don't know how they went about lowering this thing with a "kit" but hopefully they didn't just cut the springs or something. I'm a little leery. Any thoughts?
detoxcowboy
agree.gif leary
Cevan
Run away.
Mike Bellis
I'll sell you a lowering kit. Looks like this... sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif welder.gif sheeplove.gif driving.gif
tscrihfield
sawzall-smiley.gif Lowing kit??? welder.gif

I grew up around people who made some lowering KITS!

Needed: Sawzaw or Cutting torch and no brains and your set.

silver74insocal
i knew a guy in high school with a hyundai excel he lowered by putting spring compressors on. you know, the tool that goes on the outside of the spring? yeah...he was a dum ass
Rand
Now seller says "former race car with badges."
Oy.

I would appreciate hearing from the suspension experts on "lowering." How is it done right?
Rand
Yeah, my lowering kit is a torch. I just heat the spring red hot and the car drops. Niiice.
Mike Bellis
Rand, can you go see it and take lots of pictures for us. We got to see it now!
Rand
Lol. No kidding. It's a couple hours away, but some good scenic territory down that way, so it wouldn't be a waste of time. I seriously want some good close up pics of the work. It's either a pathetic hack job, or who knows - what if they did it right?
championgt1
Rust caused the suspension points to go away. There you go. Lowered 3 inches. biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
Here you go....

IPB Image

Available online at Kaleco Auto.

DanT
the rear of that car is really not that low...could be done with shorter than stock springs (140s or 180s) and normal Bilstein rear shocks with the cir clip set in one of the bottom 3 notches...Or with a set of treaded collars for the springs...
my last car was lower in the rear than that....

the front is a different story....must have some nasty shaking up front at speed...
Not to mention the shocks with no travel.
stugray
Hey! I actually want to know.

I just bought a race ready 914 and it came with brand new springs and two new sets of rear springs. I dont know what is what.

A refresher course would be great.

What springs? What shocks? What adjusters?

(lets keep it to rears for this one;-).

Stu
Borderline
To get the needed suspension travel up front, I raised the spindles on the struts and shortened the struts and installed Koni race shocks. It was a little overkill. If I was to do it all over again, I would just shorten the struts and go with the short Koni race shocks.

In back I run the Koni yellows with adjustable spring perches. To keep the shocks from bottoming out, I welded on a lower shock mount on the trailing arm. Click to view attachment
Borderline
I'm having trouble getting the photos in:
Click to view attachment
underthetire
Or just getting old, parts sag the older we our car gets.
drgchapman
If interested I have a brand new in the box Racer Chris rear lowering kit.
Let me know if interested, good price.......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.