Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Shelf Repair!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeffs9146
Lennie and I have spent the last few days replacing the engine shelf the PO cut out to add AC! Things are coming together well!

The PO had also cut at least 8 holes in the fenders that have been plugged up now!

Here is the photo of the Hell Hole and the new engine shelf!

SirAndy
That's it? One picture? confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
FourBlades

Hey Andy, at least it is in focus...

happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif

Eric_Shea
What do you expect from a ski bum? smoke.gif biggrin.gif
Jeffs9146
That's it? One picture?

At least it is a clear one!! happy11.gif (That whole blurry photo thing started at my house when you replaced your starter with the high torque one!)

We stopped working when I took the photo and I haven't ground down the welds yet! I should have a few follow up photos this week after I grind down the welds!

Lennie loaned me his welder and it took a while to dial it in! We spent today working on his car!
Jeffs9146
Cleaned the welds up, finished some details then seam sealer and primer!!
piratenanner.gif
McMark
Awesome!
gothspeed
Is there a reason why these are generally repaired to the original design? It seems from factory the drain hole is not at the lowest point of the h-hole ..... so even if the little rubber nipple never gets clogged, water will always have a place to pool, ready to repeat the rust problem.

One would think an improved repair would implement a better drain location at the lowest point ........ am I missing something here?
Jeffs9146
In general the water will flow in the direction of the lowest point!

That being said, I put the hole at the lowest point on the left side of the long but if the car is sitting at an angle the water will still just sit there!

The problem with the rust was more caused by people not maintaining the hell area by cleaning out the dirt and leaves that would collect and hold water that was saturated with battery acid! Just a bit of cleaning and some baking soda everyonce in a while and we wouldn't see the kind of rust we now see!! icon8.gif
gothspeed
I was just thinking because I have just got done repairing both headlight buckets and even though there is a sizeable drain right smack in the middle, corrosion still got started in there.

Also everytime it rains my driver's side hell hole manages to store a couple ounces of water even after a few days of sunshine. So I removed the little nipple and it stores 'less' water but it still bugs me. There seems to be enough room for a good drain just outboard of the frame.

I guess I will do a good rebuild on both hell holes, like I did on my headlight buckets.
Root_Werks
Looks great!

I had to go through this myself last year. Most AC installs are hacks. headbang.gif

Same thing on my 914, engine shelf all hacked up, engine tin hacked up.

It took me a couple of weeks to get it all sorted out.

Jeffs9146
I finaly got a coat of Yellow on it!!
FourBlades

Sweet!

Kind of makes you want to repaint the whole engine bay, doesn't it?

idea.gif

We need a smiley for "while I was in there".

John
Jeffs9146
agree.gif but that would take way to long!! blink.gif

I am going to get it driving first then when I pull the motor again I will finish the job!

I already feel like I spent a month in there!!
Lennies914
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jan 28 2011, 04:39 PM) *

agree.gif but that would take way to long!! blink.gif

I am going to get it driving first then when I pull the motor again I will finish the job!

I already feel like I spent a month in there!!

It might feel like a month, but I thought you kicked a$$. Not too slow........not too fast.......... half fast biggrin.gif poke.gif
Jeffs9146
Yes I know it just feels like it took a long time!! drunk.gif Too many beers!

Lennie, we have a group of our age friends going to the Yacht Club tonight! Call me if you and yours would like to join us!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.