Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Push Rod Tubes leaking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Daiberl
Hello,

the push rod tube from exhaust valve cylinder 1 is leaking, I dropped the engine and installed new seals, still leaking at the head, got everything apart again, cleaned, installed new seal, again started dripping. I plan to get the push rod tube out again tomorrow, all 8 are brand new, I tried with regular seals, viton sealt, same result.
Any advise what the problem can be? Can I add sealant?

- Juergen
914itis
QUOTE(Daiberl @ Jan 23 2011, 12:32 AM) *

Hello,

the push rod tube from exhaust valve cylinder 1 is leaking, I dropped the engine and installed new seals, still leaking at the head, got everything apart again, cleaned, installed new seal, again started dripping. I plan to get the push rod tube out again tomorrow, all 8 are brand new, I tried with regular seals, viton sealt, same result.
Any advise what the problem can be? Can I add sealant?

- Juergen

I replaced all my seals with no sealant and they are not leaking as of today. I drove the car for about 150 miles.. according to most of the experts here, you shouldnt use any sealant. make sure the seals sits correctly. As you insert the tubes back with the seals use a miror to make sure the are in straight. also be very careful not to damage the seals. I used a smal flet screw driver to hep me snap them in place.
Woody
Lubricate them with vaseline before install.
914itis
I used motor oil
Daiberl
I used oil on all of them, 7 are good, just the one starts leaking all the time at the head.
914itis
QUOTE(Daiberl @ Jan 23 2011, 01:04 AM) *

I used oil on all of them, 7 are good, just the one starts leaking all the time at the head.

definitely not sitting right. my .002
TheCabinetmaker
Use your finger to check the bore for a sharp edge(carefully). Don't use a screwdriver. Twist the tube back and forth as you push it in. I use channel lock pliers to push and twist. Maybe some wheel bearing grease will help that one too. Hope this helps. Also, make sure the end is flat.
jk76.914
agree.gif Be sure to twist them in. When I reassembled my engine, I tapped them in, like I used to on my Corvairs in the olden days. Well some leaked, so when I replaced them, I twisted them in and no leaks. I always use high temp wheel bearing grease (again, like on my Corvairs).

When I looked at the leaking seals, I saw that they were scuffed in the direction of the pushrod tube's length. It probably doesn't help if your heads were blasted and left with a granualar surface for the seal to have to slide on.
Jake Raby
Just because you do something twice, or three times or more, doesn't mean that successis going to be attained.

Exhaust systems that cook pushrod tube seals, cylinder heads with burrrs inside them and sharp machining edges, crappy pushrod tubes and etc all lead to leak prone tubes.

New tubes can be junk, they have nasty seams and can be undersized.
IronHillRestorations
Don't you use Locktite 565 Jake? I may have the number wrong though. It's a very light sealant and remains pliable. It also lubricates the seals as you install the tubes.

If the bores are kludged up you'll always have a leaker.
URY914
I use wheel bearing grease and work them in tight by rotating them back and forth after getting them seated all the way into the case.
Jake Raby
We use 565 in some instances, usually to solve some problematic situation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.