Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my 914 is on the road
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrbubblehead
since i have been out of work i have been working 8-10 hours a day on my car. but i did only work a half day on christmas. so far this is what i have done.

replaced rear console
replaced rear trans mounts
serviced inner cv's
replaced rear trailing arm bushings
replaced all rubber brake lines with stainless lines
bleed and adjusted the brakes
welded 02 sensor bungs in exhaust.
welded -8 an fittings on valve covers
replaced leaky oil pressure sensor
mounted dual carbs
new air filters
pulled a new fuel line thru the tunnel
replaced all fuel lines
rewired the car back to original. minus the FI and the seat belt warning system
made a gt deck lid
and probly a bunch of other things i have forgotten.

but now it is road worthy and i can drive it with confidence.

next thing i need to do is fix the odometer so i can start a log spread sheet.
then fine tune it with my wideband
then change the center console guages with modern ones. (engine information)
find a 914 umbrella cover
4 wheel alignment (anybody know a good shop in so cal?)
and then i can start to beautify it.

so far i am real happy with the way it is turning out. i tried not to cut any corners. this car is going to be my daily driver (when im not riding my motorcycles)
my jetting is pretty much spot on. but i will tune it for mpg.

here is what it looks like,

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
chrispy
You are amazing. Whenever I am out of work, I never have enough funds to do the work that I finally have time to do. Engine bay looks most excellent. Enjoy the ride
jim_hoyland
smile.gif That's a great looking car, should make the DD grade easily !
willamp
driving.gif Car looks great. Hope you enjoy driving it. What ignition is that, that has the spark distribution up on the firewall? Is there a crank sensor involved or is the distributor still mounted (although not sure what a distributor would be doing with that rig).

mrbubblehead
its a compufire dis ix ignition. i was left over from my old offroad car. it still uses a distributor for reference.
silver74insocal
beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif congrats dude! hope to see it in person real soon. what year/ color is that? Dave
mrbubblehead
thanks for the kind words everybody. the car takes a little getting use to......

im used to driving early vw's so the shift pattern will take some time to be smooth. and first gear seams so long. also, were my vw's top out i still have to gears left.
the brakes are way better than any street bug or bus ive had. and so is the power.
and it handles like a champ. it has red konis on the back. steering is tight and very responsive. plus going deep into the corners, the rear wheel dosnt want to tuck like an old swing axle does. i have always been a "keep it stock" guy with my vdubs. but know that i own a porsche its all about performance.

im stoked..... i really like this car.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Jan 23 2011, 04:34 PM) *

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif congrats dude! hope to see it in person real soon. what year/ color is that? Dave

dave, its a 1974 1.8l. im not sure the name of the color but i seen other cars the same so im sure its a factory color.
Lennies914
Nice work Mr. Bubblehead. I too came from the veedub world. I always wanted one of these fun little cars though. Yours looks to be a great DD!
Have fun with it. beer.gif
championgt1
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jan 23 2011, 04:44 PM) *

QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Jan 23 2011, 04:34 PM) *

dave, its a 1974 1.8l. im not sure the name of the color but i seen other cars the same so im sure its a factory color.

Olympic blue. Looks great! beerchug.gif
bcheney
Congrats! It must be a great feeling...Mine has been in a garage and on jack stands for 7 years...I love Olympic Blue as well...You have a great looking ride smile.gif
RFoulds
1974 1.8 Oly Blue. I have your twin! Here in Palm Desert area. not far from you.

IPB Image
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jan 24 2011, 09:32 AM) *

1974 1.8 Oly Blue. I have your twin! Here in Palm Desert area. not far from you.

very cool. i dig your wheels. nice car. beerchug.gif
76-914
Slits referred me to Manny and I was very happy. He's been doing our 914's for 20+ yr's. $129.95. Takes 1 hr. He is currently at American Tire ( I know, I know) in Riverside. 951.351.1319. Ron said they have followed this guy where ever he goes over the years.
What year is your Ghia?
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 24 2011, 09:38 AM) *

Slits referred me to Manny and I was very happy. He's been doing our 914's for 20+ yr's. $129.95. Takes 1 hr. He is currently at American Tire ( I know, I know) in Riverside. 951.351.1319. Ron said they have followed this guy where ever he goes over the years.
What year is your Ghia?

the ghia is a 66. i past it on to my middle boy. its his first car.

thanks for the tip. did you have to take an assortment of shims with you?
RFoulds
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jan 24 2011, 09:36 AM) *

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jan 24 2011, 09:32 AM) *

very cool. i dig your wheels. nice car. beerchug.gif

Thanks. I like your wheels better. these will be for sale cheap, very soon.
toon1
love that color
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.