Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing pivot shaft and bushings from rear trailing arm
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hotlanta914
What is the best way to remove bushings and pivot shaft? Is it worth the effort and what would you suggest for replacement-Delrin, rubber, poly-graphite? welder.gif
nsyr
if this is a street car and your existing bushings are in decent shape then leave it as is. there have been plenty of discussions here, just use the search to find them.
hotlanta914
Thanks - the bushings are in decent condition. I wanted to remove the bushings and shaft so that I can take the trailing arms to powder coat. I have not bee able to find any discussion on this yet. Thanks for your help.
Cheapsnake
You're in for a treat. Not a real hard job, just gets a little messy. The shaft simply drives out with a BFH. Make sure you protect the threads with a nut or use a lead hammer.

The bushings have become one with the TA and come out with heat. Run a torch over the outside of the bushing housing and once the bushings soften up they'll slide right out. DO THIS OUTSIDE! because as soon as the bushings heat up they'll smoke like crazy and you don't want any part of it.

I used polycarbonate bushings. if you use them make sure you hone them for a snug (not tight) fit and install grease zerts or they'll squeak. Good luck.

Tom
hotlanta914
QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Jan 23 2011, 06:54 PM) *

You're in for a treat. Not a real hard job, just gets a little messy. The shaft simply drives out with a BFH. Make sure you protect the threads with a nut or use a lead hammer.

The bushings have become one with the TA and come out with heat. Run a torch over the outside of the bushing housing and once the bushings soften up they'll slide right out. DO THIS OUTSIDE! because as soon as the bushings heat up they'll smoke like crazy and you don't want any part of it.

I used polycarbonate bushings. if you use them make sure you hone them for a snug (not tight) fit and install grease zerts or they'll squeak. Good luck.

Tom

Thank you for your help Tom. This is my second 914 build. I didn't tackle this challenge last time, but I have learned that every 914 repair is an adventure in creative problem solving.

Brian
tradisrad
I used a three jaw puller and pressed the shaft out. I first tired heat and drilling the rubber, but the puller worked the best. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=98630&hl=
914werke
I disagree, dont use a torch, either find a buddy, a local shop or get yerself a issue of SI or Car & driver look in the back for a 20% coupon to HF and PU an shop press for the cost of what that shop will charge you to press them out!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.