Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6GT build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhelgesen
We recently started on the prep of a vintage 914-6 GT build. Starting with an original 914-6, and using original factory parts, this will be on the track this summer.

The owner asked for a bolt in cage replicating the factory GT cage. We just happen to have one as an example, and are replicating it with updated attachment, size, and safety requirements.

The original 914-6 with factory steel flares already attached.

IPB Image

This is the original factory cage set in place for measurements.

IPB Image

Installing our backing plates.

IPB Image

Initial fit up.

IPB Image

IPB Image
bcheney
I have two 914 buddies doing this same project...carr914 and Eric Shea on this board. Click this link for some pics of a yellow 914/6 GT

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=42325&hl=

Check out this site for everything you could ever want to know about the 914/6 GT. It is a tremendous online resource. All the best with the build!

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/dealer_built_9146gt_buzzani_pa
carr914
No Down bars in the back? Only attachments to the Seat Belt attachment- that's different
jhelgesen
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 24 2011, 11:08 AM) *

No Down bars in the back? Only attachments to the Seat Belt attachment- that's different

Pictures are in process, just haven't installed them yet. The cage being used as a pattern has the top bar bolted to the seat belt mount, then the down bar is attached in front of that to the floor.
carr914
Gotcha - the one downside is that down bar may be something that you might hit your Melon on in a street crash
Eric_Shea
This is the original factory cage set in place for measurements

confused24.gif Do tell what that means. I've never seen a factory cage in a 914-6/GT

Cool project though! smilie_pokal.gif

My thread should be visable here as soon as they upload the RoadGlue files. Looking forward to watching yours as well:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Keep'em coming.
jhelgesen
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 24 2011, 12:09 PM) *

This is the original factory cage set in place for measurements

confused24.gif Do tell what that means. I've never seen a factory cage in a 914-6/GT

The cage supplied as a sample is reportedly a part of the original factory GT kit....don't hold me to that, just what I was supplied....
dflesburg
I call BS!
SirAndy
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jan 25 2011, 11:14 AM) *
I call BS!

Tell us how you really feel! laugh.gif

That said, i've also never seen anything similar in a factory GT.
idea.gif
McMark
agree.gif

It's an interesting cage, but I don't think it's factory anything. These welds look as bad as the ones in the german 914/6 I'm working on.

Click to view attachment

Here's what the one I've got in looked like.

IPB Image
Eric_Shea
don't hold me to that

We won't. biggrin.gif

There be nothing factory about that cage. There were really never any factory cages in 914-6/GT's. In fact, I believe they even raced without bars the first year. The factory then began to add bars and side bars. Mine (shown here) and the one's Mark is now making are about the extent of the factory efforts on bars/cages. This is modeled off the #40 car:

IPB Image

That said... carry on! We'd like to see more. smilie_pokal.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 25 2011, 04:50 PM) *

There be nothing factory about that cage. There were really never any factory cages in 914-6/GT's. In fact, I believe they even raced without bars the first year.

agree.gif

Click to view attachment

Carry On
jhelgesen
Thanks guys, we hope to have most of the fabrication done this week.
John
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 25 2011, 04:19 PM) *

There be nothing factory about that cage. There were really never any factory cages in 914-6/GT's. In fact, I believe they even raced without bars the first year.

agree.gif

Click to view attachment

Carry On

agree.gif

The ex Miles Collier car that I took many pictures of was a hoop that bolted to the center of the firewall (much like Eric Shea pictured) and only had a single diagonal from the right of the drivers head down to the passenger floor. No braces in front of either of the doors to the tops of the longs. I have a difficult time believing that car was far from how it was originally configured when I took pictures of it in the 80s. I doubt that they took too many artistic liberties with that car. Have I ever mentioned that I am/was very fond of that car?
jhelgesen
Wrapped up the cage for the customer this weekend. Sleeved and bolted to FIA specs. It's off next for chassis stiffening and such next.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

carr914
QUOTE(John @ Jan 25 2011, 10:53 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 25 2011, 04:19 PM) *

agree.gif

Click to view attachment

Carry On

agree.gif

The ex Miles Collier car that I took many pictures of was a hoop that bolted to the center of the firewall (much like Eric Shea pictured) and only had a single diagonal from the right of the drivers head down to the passenger floor. No braces in front of either of the doors to the tops of the longs. I have a difficult time believing that car was far from how it was originally configured when I took pictures of it in the 80s. I doubt that they took too many artistic liberties with that car. Have I ever mentioned that I am/was very fond of that car?

But, It did Not have that Bar when 1st Raced
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.