Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine motor mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
recko911
What's up fellow teeners. I am about to replace my 914 engine and I have yet to purchase new motor mounts. I was going to purchase the rubber mounts however I came across the aluminum solid mounts on eBay and pelican parts. Does anyone have any solid mounts. Which ones are better in your opinion. My 914 is my daily driver I will not have a high performance engine but will have dual carbs.
underthetire
No to aluminum. Delrin maybe. Rubber is probably the best for a DD though. w00t1.gif
VaccaRabite
Use the rubber mounts!

Unless you are racing, you do not want to be using solid mounts. The rubber eats up a LOT of engine vibration that would otherwise be eaten up by your butt and spine.

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 24 2011, 09:28 AM) *
Use the rubber mounts!

Unless you are racing, you do not want to be using solid mounts. The rubber eats up a LOT of engine vibration that would otherwise be eaten up by your butt and spine.

agree.gif
pcar916
The 911 "sport" mounts are a harder rubber compound than the "normal" ones. They're used not only on the faster cars, but also on the cabriolets. They were used for many years. Check out those from the '80's.
recko911
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jan 24 2011, 10:01 AM) *

The 911 "sport" mounts are a harder rubber compound than the "normal" ones. They're used not only on the faster cars, but also on the cabriolets. They were used for many years. Check out those from the '80's.

Would these fit a 73 914.
pcar916
QUOTE(recko911 @ Jan 24 2011, 10:16 AM) *

Yes, on both ends. You will use some of the transmission end hardware (washers) along with it, but it's a good compromise between rigidity and isolating the vibration.

I've used both solids and semi-hard plastics on the street but gave them up in favor of these 911 mounts.
SirAndy
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jan 24 2011, 10:22 AM) *
QUOTE(recko911 @ Jan 24 2011, 10:16 AM) *

Yes, on both ends. You will use some of the transmission end hardware (washers) along with it, but it's a good compromise between rigidity and isolating the vibration.

I've used both solids and semi-hard plastics on the street but gave them up in favor of these 911 mounts.

confused24.gif

He's talking about engine mounts ...
A '73 is a side-shifter that already has SOLID outer motor mounts and small rubber mounts between the engine bar and the engine case.

The 911 sport mounts can be used as *transmission* mounts on a 914 and as outer rubber engine mounts on a early tail shifter car.

In any case, i don't think solid engine mounts or solid transmission mounts belong on a DD.

shades.gif
'73-914kid
I made machined out little delrin pillows exactly the same size as the stock rubber motor mounts.. I ran the delrin mounts for a week. I promptly ordered new rubber mounts from Pelican Parts. Even delrin transfers too much vibration, and is both annoying to the driver, and detrimental to the chassis, as the vibration from the motor will crack seam welds, and loosen bolts throughout the car

I made Delrin mounts because I was too cheap to buy new ones when the original mounts were too worn out... A week of DD duties was enough to make the rubber ones a good idea.

Stick with new rubber mounts. They are really the best for street cars
pcar916
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 24 2011, 10:29 AM) *

He's talking about engine mounts ...
A '73 is a side-shifter that already has SOLID outer motor mounts and small rubber mounts between the engine bar and the engine case.

The 911 sport mounts can be used as *transmission* mounts on a 914 and as outer rubber mounts on a early tail shifter car.

In any case, i don't think solid engine mounts or solid transmission mounts belong on a DD.
shades.gif

"I see" said the blind man! I've never had a 4-cyl. car so thanks for the correction on the front mount beerchug.gif
stownsen914
One option on the later 914s is to replace the front engine mounts with solid ones and put 911 engine mounts (sport or regular) at the outboard mounts at the ends of the engine crossbar. You still get rubber mounts to dampen vibration, but it will be a good bit stiffer than the two rubber mounts in the middle like the late 914s have.

Scott
SirAndy
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Jan 24 2011, 11:03 AM) *
One option on the later 914s is to replace the front engine mounts with solid ones and put 911 engine mounts (sport or regular) at the outboard mounts at the ends of the engine crossbar. You still get rubber mounts to dampen vibration, but it will be a good bit stiffer than the two rubber mounts in the middle like the late 914s have.

The problem with that is that on the later side-shifter the shift rod is routed through a hole in the engine bar.
In the stock configuration (solid outer mounts) the mount bar never moves so there's no interference with the shift rod.

If you switch to rubber outer mounts on a side-shifter the engine mount bar now moves with the engine vibration and the mounting bar will hit and bind the shift rod ...

shades.gif
recko911
Thanks for the advice I will stick with rubber mounts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.