Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What now?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Black22
Hey guys, I got one for you. I searched and did not find this dilemma.

Got in my car for it's weekly run. I noticed that the oil pressure and alt. Lights did not illuminate in the on position of the key switch. I start the car no problem. Them I notice that my Tach and Gas gauge are dead. I rev the car up and they come alive along with the alt light. Car is running and alt light is on.

Turn signals don't work. Hazards do. All other lights work.

I step on the brake and the gas gauge goes dead. I release brake peddle and gas gauge works again.

I thought I read about this a while ago.

What is it? Voltage regulator, brake switch, alternator, fuse, relay?!? WTF.gif

Thanks in advance for the help and smart ass comments to come.

904svo
clean fuses 8 and 9.
Cap'n Krusty
Most folks automatically check the fuses before even thinking about other possible causes. Have you done so? Even if they're all there and intact, spin them in their contacts to check for corrosion.

The Cap'n
Black22
Yeah I checked the fuses. Replaced them all last week but checked them again today.
Black22
Just found a disconnected terminal on 9. That was it. Thanks 904svo and Capt. for making me look AGAIN!
speed metal army
The same thing happened to me..It figures that a fuse knocked out or blown makes everything go nuts! biggrin.gif
r_towle
I think DD explained this once...but whenever I here someone say "stepped on the brakes and gas gauge went to zero" its a fuse...must be the number 9 fuse that causes that specific and wierd thing to happen.

He had another one that was I think the starter circuit was somehow wired via a rear tailight....something really funny.

Both are stock wiring, just corrosion issues.

Rich
jt914-6
Just go ahead and install an Engman fuse panel.....modern fuses....no more kicking out fuses....one of the best upgrades I've done....
Rod
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jan 25 2011, 10:49 PM) *

Just go ahead and install an Engman fuse panel.....modern fuses....no more kicking out fuses....one of the best upgrades I've done....

Agreed, My car started to behave once that went in...
Black22
QUOTE(Rod @ Jan 25 2011, 03:09 PM) *

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jan 25 2011, 10:49 PM) *

Agreed, My car started to behave once that went in...

I'll do that one day...when my wife forgets how much I've already spent on this car! blink.gif I went to my local VW shop and got a fuse cover from a 73 Ghia/ 72 Bug that fits our panel so I don't kick out fuses anymore...and it was only $7 piratenanner.gif

Thanks for all the responses fellas...it's good to know people are always here when you're having problems out in the driveway.
914itis
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jan 25 2011, 05:49 PM) *

mine was shipped out today., waiting for it.... that fuse panel is a PITA.
Als914
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jan 25 2011, 02:49 PM) *

agree.gif I up graded mine.... lights were brighter, gauge readings stronger and the teener just seem to run better.
detoxcowboy
or you could just clean and restore your original, it is really just all about clean, correct and good contact connection.. in fact the whole car should be gone through for clean conenctions, the relay board and all its little contacts in the engine and the 7 ground points at the least.. then the fi harness ect.. it one of the cheapest projects available for improvements..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.