Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A/C Compressor Upgrade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mtburman
I am updating a/c compressor on 1975 2.0, from york style to geo metro style, specifically looking for pictures of how compressor mounts and updated compressor mounts. I have left over mounting hardware from 911 Rennair update, compressor bracket.

Do I need to pull the motor or compressor replacable/reachable from top?

Does anyone have pictures of compressor mounting/updated mounting?

Does anyone have experience with this upgrade?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The compressor actually mounts below the right front sheetmetal and is driven with a serpentine belt. No longer the need to cut the sheetmetal!!! Works great does not rob hp like the old York, and weighs less!
QUOTE(mtburman @ Jan 25 2011, 10:00 AM) *

I am updating a/c compressor on 1975 2.0, from york style to geo metro style, specifically looking for pictures of how compressor mounts and updated compressor mounts. I have left over mounting hardware from 911 Rennair update, compressor bracket.

mtburman
Then i can repair the existing metal from the dealer install, so it sounds like I need to pull motor,

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 25 2011, 11:12 AM) *

The compressor actually mounts below the right front sheetmetal and is driven with a serpentine belt. No longer the need to cut the sheetmetal!!! Works great does not rob hp like the old York, and weighs less!
QUOTE(mtburman @ Jan 25 2011, 10:00 AM) *

It only works if you hook up the ground cable.... poke.gif biggrin.gif

George, I would like to see pictures. I have the Sankyo compressor kit from IceAC on Betty's 914, and it works great. But I would love to see one that didn't have to have the sheet metal cutout.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
Yes you will certainly have to pull the engine to execute a clean repair of the engine shelf. We have repaired a lot of them after installing the new compressor update kits.

QUOTE(mtburman @ Jan 25 2011, 10:44 AM) *

Then i can repair the existing metal from the dealer install, so it sounds like I need to pull motor,

mtburman
It works great with the York compressor but causing the engine to stall in Phoenix heat, want to go with geo compressor to reduce HP strain, especially at idle. Car does have idle solenoid, helps somewhat, but i am looking to reduce how noticiable it is when compressor cycles. Will probably update the hoses as well but plan to stick with R12.
MarkV
The Sanden compressor is smaller but you still have to cut the sheet metal. You can mount the compressor to the existing mount by welding on some tabs or by buying an adaptor plate. Here are some photos of my mount.

Click to view attachment

MarkV
Here is an adapter plate that is available to go from York to Sanden.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YORK-SANDEN...=item483e5f98e3

Click to view attachment
mtburman
thanks, exactly what i need. I was already going to copy your condenser repair. Do current refrigerant hose ends fit sanden compressor?
Dr Evil
Why could you not position the compressor lower so as to avoid having to cut shelf and tin? Nice pics, BTW.
zambezi
Or higher so it can stay connected for engine removal.
MarkV
That is an interesting set up. The belt is on the front of the fan.

I dont think my set up could be mounted any lower. The mount is set up like a hinge so that you can pull three bolts and leave the compressor when you pull the engine.
andys
QUOTE(MarkV @ Jan 27 2011, 12:44 PM) *

That is an interesting set up. The belt is on the front of the fan.

If I'm not mistaken, the smog pump on '75-'76 motors were mounted like that. Perhaps all it takes is a smog pump pulley and you're all set.

Andys
type11969
Is that a smog pump setup running that compressor? I thought about doing that but was concerned about putting that much load on those bearings. Hmm

-Chris
zambezi
No it is not a smog pump pulley. I think it is for a VW bus. The pulley is cast not the rubber mounted style like the smog pump. All the brackets I made myself along with the adjuster. I had to raise the Oil filler to have access to it though. My car came with A/C from the dealer so I wanted to keep it but modernize it to be more useable. I did not like the hard to access mounting of the stock compressor, or the butchery it takes to install one. I repaired all the stock sheetmetal back once I figured out how to mount it this way. Here are some of the build photos and one of the engine as it sits currently out of the car.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
zambezi
heres the rest of the pics
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
zambezi
Final pic of it as it sits currently
Click to view attachment
MarkV
Are you going to use the original hoses or are you going to install new ones ??
zambezi
I installed new hoses and upgraded the fan to a larger higher output Spal fan.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mtburman
I'll have new ones made up, stay with R12 but barrier hoses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.