Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pushrods? Hydralic Lifters?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
I came across a sweet price on a factory set of NOS pushrods and am curious if it is a valuable thing to replace. I have seen mine when I put new pushrod tubes in, they did not appear damaged but that is the limit of my knowledge? Are they a wear item at this point in these 40 year old cars??

Also on my research of this have seen hydralic lifters, and have only heard of them being used in one 914 that I have come across.. Any disadvantages or precation to using them? The pushrods for hydralic lifters need to be chromoloy or steel, not factory?

914 factory pushrods appear to be about $25-$27 each, Sets are NLA? $50 for an NOS set seems like a steal and a why not security purchase/install..

I am not really interested in doing hydralic lifters, but would like to know as an option for future rebuild..
VaccaRabite
No reason at all to replace them, unless you are replacing your cam and valve train. And then you want to cut your own pushrods, not use the stock ones.

Zach
Dr Evil
I have some NLA NOS glovebox lint for only $50 poke.gif

Seriously, not really a heavily replaced item. The lifters on the other hand, those are worth snagging when they come up NOS.
underthetire
I have hydraulics. They are nice cause you don't have to adjust them so much, and when you do, its not real precise. Downside is they tend to crap out at about 5500 RPM, pumping down? they seem to use std. aluminum pushrods, although I have not measured to verify. I wouldn't use them if your going for performance, and the cams are different, usually the hydro cams are stock or very mild.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 25 2011, 10:08 AM) *

I have some NLA NOS glovebox lint for only $50 poke.gif

Seriously, not really a heavily replaced item. The lifters on the other hand, those are worth snagging when they come up NOS.

biggrin.gif Your not just selling german pocket lint are u? There is a difference..
Dr Evil
For lifters, I meant the solid ones are worth while. The hydro are not. The covair engine has hydro and it is nice, but it was designed for it.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 25 2011, 10:25 AM) *

For lifters, I meant the solid ones are worth while. The hydro are not. The covair engine has hydro and it is nice, but it was designed for it.

Got it, I like adjusting valves anyways but thought this a "learning moment" while I was inquiring about fancy stock pushrods..
Mark Henry
Hydro's = barf.gif
What are you driving a bus? confused24.gif

They used factory steel PR's on hydro's in the late VW buses, they also had no 2nd pressure relief to keep the oil pressure high.
McMark
Save your money. Buy used for 1/4 the price or less.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.