Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trailing Arm removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
3liter914-6
Ok, so I'm going to order up some of them fancy roller bearings for the rear and I'm taking the rear arms off do the 911 e-brake mods and powdercoating at the same time. I've got all the nuts and everything off, but I don't see how to get the bushing studs out of the mounting points? Is there something I'm missing? a brain perhaps? I'm sure I don't want to bend anything, do the studs push back into the trailing arm?

Also, when I took the locknut off the right outer stud, it was really close to the outer fender well, so close when I pried the nut out, the body got pushed out as well (nothing permanent). Is this normal variance on out hand built cars, or is something bent?

thanks,

Adam
Mueller
You only need to remove the one 22mm nut on the inside ear and the 3 17mm (or 15mm) bolts that go up into the chassis...these bolts are what hold the outside mount onto the car.
Brad Roberts
Adam,

put the outside nut back on and semi tighten it. Remove the 3 bolts that hold the alignment shims into place. This will allow the arm to fall down, then you have to slightly move it towards the outside of the car to get the shaft splines out of the inner ear. Be careful. It has some weight to it. It can be done with valances on the car... but you will have to bend it a little out of the way.

B
JWest
You need to remove the mounting bracket on the outside (3 bolts). There will be alignment shims (for camber) above the brackets, so be sure to capture these after removing the bolts.

These bolts are often quite rusted, so take proper measures (PB Blaster, heat) to persuade them to come out.

Edit - I'm too slow typing.
Brad Roberts
What other BBS or email group gives you 3 CORRECT answers less than 10 seconds apart ??

NONE.

Thanks for playing.

B
3liter914-6
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 27 2004, 04:12 PM)
What other BBS or email group gives you 3 CORRECT answers less than 10 seconds apart ??

NONE.

Thanks for playing.

B

No kidding, I thought I'd at least have time for a bathroom break and get a few pages of Excellence in before heading back out to the garage.

Thanks guys!

Oh, so the outer nut thing is normal?
davep
QUOTE(3liter914-6 @ Apr 27 2004, 12:17 PM)

The outer nut does not come off until the arm is off of the car, so yes, it is normal. I like to use my air impact wrench to take the bolts out. I have had several break due to extreme rusting. There are supposed to be plastic caps on the top of the bolt holes to seal them. Remove the caps and add penetrating oil. DO NOT FORGET TO REPLACE THE CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3liter914-6
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 27 2004, 04:25 PM)
QUOTE(3liter914-6 @ Apr 27 2004, 12:17 PM)

The outer nut does not come off until the arm is off of the car, so yes, it is normal. I like to use my air impact wrench to take the bolts out. I have had several break due to extreme rusting. There are supposed to be plastic caps on the top of the bolt holes to seal them. Remove the caps and add penetrating oil. DO NOT FORGET TO REPLACE THE CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmm.. No caps, but like the rest of the car, delightfully unrusty.
It's off now. Thanks for the help guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.