Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tracking the sale price of cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I've been thinking (and it hardly hurt) that there should be a thread on the classifieds where we post information on cars that have sold. I know that telling the world how little you got for your car may be difficult, but in time, this would establish a benchmark for values.

Andy,
If I'm asking for something that's a pain in the ass, just say so
Rod
Why not add a field to the VIN database? That way it can be easily tracked and searched and see if different years are more valuable etc.
Eric_Shea
Why...? Just ask TC! w00t.gif
McMark
Do you think it would be accurate? How do you quantify condition? Admittedly, I get carried away with perfectionism, but it seems like the data wouldn't be worth much considering the range of conditions and the relatively small data set. I would LOVE to be wrong though because it's a great idea.
Andyrew
I think its a great idea. Whenever a similar car as mine sells in the classifieds I contact the seller to see what the price was if it wasnt listed. I also check on projects/ drivers that could be in my price range if popped up on a local craigslist just so I know their value.

I DO think it would be hard to implement, and privacy of buyers/sellers would be pushed...
JeffBowlsby
I maintain this page with documented high-quality original-ish 914s for reference if its any help.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/RecentSales.htm

biggrin.gif
smontanaro
There is/was a sticky thread at RoadGlue about 914/6 prices. Maybe creating a classified sub-forum containing that info and Jeff's would be a good way to prime the pump.
smontanaro
Actually, I can't check RoadGlue right now since it's in transition, but maybe I was thinking of this page on Armando's website.
orange914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 25 2011, 03:02 PM) *

but in time, this would establish a benchmark for values.

it will be effectionately known as "billy blue book"
Tom_T
I think it's a great idea, and should be somewhere like the Garage as a nailed topic so it's found by the most people looking for that info. A sub of Classifieds or VINs might be harder to find than a Nailed Tread in the main area.

Between seeding it with Jeff's, DaveP & the 914-6/GT sites' info., as well as members posting their sales & buys - along with pix & realistic condition statement for their cars, it would be far more accurate than NADA's loosey-goosey running average with no condition info. on individual cars/sales at all!

There's also this 914-6 registry I found before, but very few prices:
http://www.stazak.com/914reg/1970a.html

This would no more violate privacy, than the sales on evil-bay, TheSamba, on here & 914club, etc. being searchable, and the fact that DMV's also have sales prices for tax purposes (just multiply the tax paid by the rate in effect & you have an almost exact price - same with real estate).

And yes, it appears that TC has traded & retraded just about every 914 out there - except mine, unless he was an unknown PO between 11/72 & 12/75! biggrin.gif
PanelBilly
I think the buyer should be the one to submit the information and they can brag about their new purchase. Something like the Excellence buy/sell section, but with the comments made by the collective 914 brain team
Steve
Great idea!! Check out rennlist.com under the 993 forum. The admins have a post for sales with recommended guidelines for information on the sale, such as options on the car.
Mike Bellis
I think Jeff has the right idea. A log of pricing should be for significant cars not every rust bucket. 914 prices range from $0-$50K+. I don't care about a $500 car from Craigs List. I do want to know what -6's and LE's are doing. If you log the free one I got it will throw off the curve. Remember thay are only worth what someone will pay not what someone will sell it for.

What's this one worth?
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.