Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tachometers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
Sorry for the newbie question. I am learning more every day but it's never quite enough huh.gif

Are the typical aftermarket tachs like the various Autometer units "plug n' play" compatible with an early 911 motor (i.e. Bosch CDI or possibly MSD)? Do they have switches for the # of cylinders or what?

My first choice would be to find a real 2.2S tach or a VDO 8 or 10K race tach (or have one made up by PA Speedo) but I think that is in the $300+ range vs probably <$200 for a brand new Autometer with adjustable shift light etc.

If I go with the Autometer, or another aftermarket tach, anybody have a specific model recommendation? (there are LOTS as I discovered looking at the Jegs catalog just now.)
Brad Roberts
I know the Autometer and MSD have micro switchs for the cylinder control. The MSD 6AL actually has 3 little wires that you cut to tell it what its running engine wise.

99% of the people I know have Palo Alto or Hollywood speedo convert their factory tach... I'm a little cheaper and would run a Autometer in the stock location.

B
campbellcj
Thanks - I will call PA and ask how much to convert a T tach (or something else relatively cheap) to a higher redline, and spiff it all up. They do great work, but you're right that it will probably be double what an Autometer would run. I'd like to stick with VDO if practical, for that "factory" look.
Brad Roberts
I like the factory look. I made fun of Bontempi's piece of crap stock VDO tach in his race car... he promptly tells me he shifts it by sound and never looks at the tach. At that point I realized I shift by feel and not really by the tach. In our momentum cars... if you went by the tach all the time you wouldnt get anywhere fast.

B
campbellcj
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jan 10 2003, 10:27 PM)
I like the factory look. I made fun of Bontempi's piece of crap stock VDO tach in his race car... he promptly tells me he shifts it by sound and never looks at the tach. At that point I realized I shift by feel and not really by the tach. In our momentum cars... if you went by the tach all the time you wouldnt get anywhere fast.

B

Very true, if you asked me what my shift points were, or my oil pressure, last weekend... huh.gif I dunno. I peeked at the oil temp about twice a lap but that's about it.
Brad Roberts
Ha ha.. I hear you. I'm almost to the point where I think I only need a large temp light that is preset to certain temp to come on. I cant do anything about oil pressure and we dont watch the tach. Even a speedo would be more important to me during testing.

Motec dash..

B
J P Stein
A Porsche bone yard will have a selection of tachs.
You want one for your year motor (or close). Swap meets are even better. They have a manuf. date on the back.....it's that easy. 100 bucks or so, tops ....for a nice one that works. Wiring the fucker up is another thread. Mine (a 71) didn't require a tach adaptor for the MSD.
Brad Roberts
JP,

I forgot what you told me... what is in your dizzy to trigger the MSD ??

B
J P Stein
The infamous Pertronics.....been there for years.....well, in another dizzy. I swapped it into the new one.

Yup, I'm a CSOB.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.