Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Odd Ebay Result
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
Was watching this auction and am surprised it went for this much based on just a few pictures.

But mainly I don't understand the bidding. When you max bid doesn't ebay bid the next incremental bid? Check out the history.
Ebay listing

My car must be worth $10k plus too!
flipb
If you Max bid exceeds the Reserve price, it will jump up to reserve + $100 at the end of the auction. In other words, if the reserve on this car was $9900 and the bidder's max bid was $10000 or more, it would jump up to $10,000 when the auction ends.

Ask me how i know. dry.gif
Tom_T
Yeah, thank Meg Whitman for that +$100 trick!

The +$100 is a BS rook, but you wouldn't get the car/item anyhoo if your top bid were just below reserve, so the auto bid to reserve when over makes sense in a perverse way! dry.gif

If you think something is worth "X" & are willing to pay up to that amount, then no problem. However, if you're caught up in the frenzy & would really rather have paid less, then you need to bid less (i.e.: at your max. assessment of its value), & force the seller to relist at a lower reserve price.

That is really not much different than a Barrett-Jackson auction etc.

The others also look like the bidders upping their own bids when effectively blocked by another's highest bid price. IMHO it makes no sense to bid until the last seconds, set the max you'll reasonably pay & execute. otherwise you're caught up the int inane bidding wars which evil-bay loves.
bembry
1.7 tail shifter, converted to carbs, living in the rust belt, non stock muffler, non stock radio, for 10K?

Come on....not knowing the auction, I would immediately think this had a shill involved.

If not, then good on the owners for getting top dollar.

Pretty car though.
Mike Bellis
I was thinking Shill bidding too. If you read the Q/A he states the car spent 20 years in Arizona. A car from Arizona is the closest you will get to rust free ususally. As a seller, you can pick the winner and sell to them. I've sold a bunch of cars on ebay. You can also end the auction early. If I were to pay $10k for a 914, I would pick up the LE from HPH @ $8500 and pocket some money.
flipb
I didn't know the auto-reserve-bid rule, but the seller told me the reserve price. Toward the end of the auction, there was someone starting to bid against me. I raised my max bid to a little more than the reserve, just to make sure I'd win if the other bidder kept going.

He maxed out, I ended up outbidding him by $1000, and then the auto-reserve-bid kicked in. Next thing you know, I have myself a 914. Guess it worked out pretty well for me. But it was a surprise when my bid jumped up over reserve without a competitive bidder.

PlaysWithCars
Nice looking car. Congratulations on the purchase. When you get it, please post more pictures.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.