Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 -2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
how do you identify a 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0 engine? can you tell by the serial?

what to look for?
Lennies914
The first two letters of the engine number. This should help.
http://www.914world.com/specs/engnumbs.php
914itis
Thanks
Cap'n Krusty
.............Unless someone has used a case from one to build a different engine.....

I've done it myself. Just a year ago I had to go through a number of cases to get a good one, and I've built a 2.0 with 1.7 heads, too. Mix'n'match is particularly easy with T4 parts.

The Cap'n
914itis
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 27 2011, 12:27 AM) *

.............Unless someone has used a case from one to build a different engine.....

I've done it myself. Just a year ago I had to go through a number of cases to get a good one, and I've built a 2.0 with 1.7 heads, too. Mix'n'match is particularly easy with T4 parts.

The Cap'n

ok, if that was the case Cap'n, the only way to find out the actual size of the engine would be to take it appart and measure the bores? any other way?
70_914
QUOTE(ppetion @ Jan 26 2011, 09:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 27 2011, 12:27 AM) *

The Cap'n

ok, if that was the case Cap'n, the only way to find out the actual size of the engine would be to take it appart and measure the bores? any other way?

Bolts holding the intake manifolds on will indicate 1.7/1.8 or Porsche 2.0 heads. VW type 4 intakes (including bus 2.0) have 4 bolts, Porsche 2.0 heads have 3 bolts.

You could always CC the jugs without taking it all apart. Google search should be able to walk you though it. I think you put a cylinder at TDC, fill it with a liquid (to eliminate the combustion chamber from your measurement). Rotate the engine until that same piston is at the bottom of the stroke, fill up with a measured amount of liquid. That will be the CC's each cylinder will move, multiply by 4, and Bobs your uncle.
NJ914Guy
Yep, three bolts on a 2.0 to hold down the intakes; 1.7 and 1.8 have four bolts. Also the orientation of the spark plugs. 1.7 and 1.8 stand straight up. 2.0's jet out on an angle toward the sides.
914itis
Thanks
toon1
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 26 2011, 09:27 PM) *

The Cap'n

Slight highjack......how did it run???
stugray
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 26 2011, 10:27 PM) *

The Cap'n

and

"Yep, three bolts on a 2.0 to hold down the intakes; 1.7 and 1.8 have four bolts."

Thats funny, cuz this thread just made me check the serial numbers on the case going in and the case that came out.

The engine going in has 3 intake bolts and SN: GC006593
The engine that came out (of a 71) has 4 intake bolts and SN: GC005517

So it sounds like I have at least one "hybrid".
At least I can switch the 1.8/1.7 rockers into my 2.0 heads so I can have swivel feet.

Stu
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(toon1 @ Jan 27 2011, 11:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 26 2011, 09:27 PM) *

The Cap'n

Slight highjack......how did it run???

We made sure the deck height was right so the compression worked, and it ran well. We used a Web Cam #86 and their lifters, bus pistons, and the Webers already on the engine. Not the real thing, but far better than the ratted out 1.8 it had in it.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.