Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possible tire / rim combo ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rdr
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to purchase 15 x 7 rims 4x130's for my teener to work with the standard GT flares. I am thinking of running 215/45-15's all the way around. Any thoughts? I know that turning may be a bit *forceful*. Maybe 7's in the front and 8" rims in the back? wacko.gif

Thoughts? confused24.gif

Thanks,

Rick beerchug.gif
DanT
7s are not going to really fill out the fenders with flares...especially in the rear...
I ran custom 7s on my narrow bodied car, actually on two different narrow cars...
you need at least 8s in the rear, if not 9s.
this car also ran 1/2" spacers in the rear and 3/4" in the front...205x50x15 Kumho V710s ( which are almost as wide as a 225)
underthetire
I run 16X7's on my narrow body car with 205's. Think you'll want bigger.
Beach914
At the suggestion of others I purchased some 15x8's with Falken 225/50/15's. Looks like they'll fill out the flares just right. I thought about going stagered but then I can't rotate the tires.
rdr
Great feedback....

I will buy the 8's as that is as big as I can find and still be in the 4x130 pattern. Want to save the $$ for now and not go 5 lug just yet. driving.gif

Any issue the running 8's in the front on turning? confused24.gif

Also should I go with 215/45-15's? I found Toyo has a set and I like the fact it's a bit lower profile and a bit wider.

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Di...;pn=Toyo-245830

The 215/45's will fit the 8" rims? confused24.gif

Again, I appreciate all the feedback as I make this decision.

Rick

beerchug.gif
rohar
I'm running 215/40s on 17/7" rims. They seem nice but possibly a bit narrow for the rim. Might want to go a touch wider for an 8" rim.
rdr
Thanks...

Looking at 8" rims with 225/45 15's. Same height as he 205/50's but an inch wider. Has anyone used this site?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

Very helpful.

rick beerchug.gif
bozo914
Brief Hijack - Where are you finding 7 or 8" rims in 4x130? Diamond Wheels?
Millerwelds
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 27 2011, 07:47 AM) *

I run 16X7's on my narrow body car with 205's. Think you'll want bigger.

agree.gif
rohar
QUOTE(bozo914 @ Jan 27 2011, 10:30 AM) *

Brief Hijack - Where are you finding 7 or 8" rims in 4x130? Diamond Wheels?

I'm not running 4x130. Billet front hubs and custom rears at 4x114

Huge variety of wheels available wink.gif
rdr
Yes, unless someone else has a source for more open spoke wheels.
Scott S
I had wide 4 bolts on my car before I re-did the thing many years ago. Had them made through one of the big VW shops listed in either HotVW's or Trends. They would even do specific offsets (bad pic, but the offset on the 7" fronts were pushed out an inch to better fill out the front flares).
They were heavy, but worked just fine on the street. Looked very similar to an HRE wheel.

If you are interested, I will try and find the receipt. They were like 160.00 each. Sold them to somone on the club site in 2001 or so.
rdr
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Jan 27 2011, 03:46 PM) *

I had wide 4 bolts on my car before I re-did the thing many years ago. Had them made through one of the big VW shops listed in either HotVW's or Trends. They would even do specific offsets (bad pic, but the offset on the 7" fronts were pushed out an inch to better fill out the front flares).
They were heavy, but worked just fine on the street. Looked very similar to an HRE wheel.

If you are interested, I will try and find the receipt. They were like 160.00 each. Sold them to somone on the club site in 2001 or so.

Great looking car! And bolt-on flares for that street / racer look. That's what I'm planning.

Can you email me more photos of the flares or side view of the car?

rick@rdroe.com

Thanks!

Rick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.