Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody use kill switch's for security and ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
Just curious if anyone uses a "kill" switch for security or otherwise? this is what i used the old bosch switch..

Click to view attachment
wertygrog
I have one (or two).

I use it for peace of mind, and it's good in certain situations where I want to play the stereo without the fuel pump humming away.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(wertygrog @ Jan 26 2011, 09:25 PM) *

I have one (or two).

I use it for peace of mind, and it's good in certain situations where I want to play the stereo without the fuel pump humming away.

agree.gif peace of mind mostly, plus i do not want to worry where i park and i do go some shady places sometimes..
wertygrog
I use it for shady places, and sometimes bring the distributor rotor with me too. I never lock my doors though because I don't want someone busting into the car. If they want to sit inside and make revving noises, they can be my guest. smile.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(wertygrog @ Jan 26 2011, 11:16 PM) *
If they want to sit inside and make revving noises, they can be my guest. smile.gif

That's what jackstands will do to you...
jcambo7
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 27 2011, 08:12 AM) *

QUOTE(wertygrog @ Jan 26 2011, 11:16 PM) *
If they want to sit inside and make revving noises, they can be my guest. smile.gif

That's what jackstands will do to you...

av-943.gif
I have one also. Hopefully it never has to be tested.
Root_Werks
I don't have one in my 914, but have thought about installing one. My Squareback has one. I don't use it much, maybe if the car will sit un-driven for a week or longer I'll use it. Or if I'm working on anything electrical, it's nice for that. It's a whole system, battery kill switch.
speed metal army
I use one.Keeps mysterious fires at bay as well.... biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Why not just pull the fuel pump relay and take it with you? Easy and requires no mods.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jan 26 2011, 09:19 PM) *

Just curious if anyone uses a "kill" switch for security or otherwise? this is what i used the old bosch switch..

Click to view attachment

Oh, it'd be hard to find THAT one ....................... Maybe you could paint the knob yellow?

The Cap'n
pcar916
A simple one works unless you have an DME ignition. A current pulse will need to be shunted to ground through a resistor to protect the computer/voltage regulator when the switch is thrown.

Click to view attachment

This is a big red switch on the outside of the car but many street cars use the same switch mounted inside the trunk actuated by a cable. Get a good one and buy a spare key at the same time.

Good luck!
Mike Bellis
I had a buddy that used the cigarette lighter as a kill switch. Used it to power up a main relay. Put it in your pocket and take it with you. 99% of theives will not have an extra plug in lighter with them.

Click to view attachment
flipb
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 27 2011, 08:56 PM) *

I had a buddy that used the cigarette lighter as a kill switch. Used it to power up a main relay. Put it in your pocket and take it with you. 99% of theives will not have an extra plug in lighter with them.

Click to view attachment

IPB Image

Love that idea. Some PO installed the green knob thingee on the battery of my car. I occasionally unhook it when the car's gonna sit for a while. Very rarely, take it with me when I'm parked somewhere.
John
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jan 27 2011, 08:20 AM) *

A simple one works unless you have an DME ignition. A current pulse will need to be shunted to ground through a resistor to protect the computer/voltage regulator when the switch is thrown.

Click to view attachment

This is a big red switch on the outside of the car but many street cars use the same switch mounted inside the trunk actuated by a cable. Get a good one and buy a spare key at the same time.

Good luck!

Why unless you have a DME ignition? Works on our track car.....
SirAndy
QUOTE(John @ Jan 27 2011, 07:30 PM) *
Why unless you have a DME ignition?

If you don't ground it through a resistor, you can fry the alternator/voltage regulator ...

blowup.gif
Rand
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 27 2011, 05:56 PM) *

I had a buddy that used the cigarette lighter as a kill switch. Used it to power up a main relay. Put it in your pocket and take it with you. 99% of theives will not have an extra plug in lighter with them

That has *some* cool factor. And I've also done the "pack the rotor with me" thing.

But you's guys are still packing baggage.

I go back to my days of wearing only board shorts, and bailing out to the water. I don't want to be packing a key, no less a freakin' cigarette lighter plug.

I always went with a hidden switch. No door locks (nobody busted my windows). No nothin.... Sigh, memories.
TC 914-8
I have one too, Some how I figured in the schematic terminal 4(I think) if the 4 prong plug on the relay board has to be grounded to run the fuel pump. I installed a secret switch( only one person knows where it is and how it has to be facing to run, besides me) shades.gif so when I leave the car, I open the circuit and the fuel pump won't run. If anyone wants to try to take a joy ride, I'll find them at the end of my driveway. the v-8 doesnt last too long with out fuel pump running. Any factory 914 wouldent even start with the fuel pump running.
RiqueMar
I took a page from my Dad and am gonna put a switch on the little vent that goes inside the door sill. I'de like to see someone get farther than a block w/out a fuel pump.
BiG bOgGs
Had a friend who used two switches. One to turn the car power on, and a second momentary switch that rerouted the starter through the horn. After he got it started and released the momentary switch the horn went back to its normal function.
'73-914kid
I have a regular battery switch (with resistor) that sits on the firewall between the two seats. It's in a great position to just take out the key and clip it on to the regular ignition keys... It's a plastic key too, no water issues..haha But it works well, and is only noticeable to a trained eye for 914's...
computers4kids
Security....not really needed in my case. The perp would have to fiqure out how to shift my 901 biggrin.gif to first get it out of the garage then a forward gear. Sounds ridiculous but time and time again I've had professional mechanics who insist on moving the car on the rack etc (for insurance reasons dry.gif ), only to finally sheepishly say...OK can you move it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.