Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strange Shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
Been helping my friend fix up a '74 2.0 that came to us in boxes. After going through the shifter bushings I noticed that his stock shifter appears to be spring centered. Has anyone seen this before or is it just mine that isn't...?
yeahmag
I should say it "acts" like its spring centered... It returns to the 2-3 gear plane roughly centered.
Cap'n Krusty
All stock 914 shift levers are spring loaded at the base.

The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
pics
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 27 2011, 11:57 AM) *

All stock 914 shift levers are spring loaded at the base.

The Cap'n

agree.gif lines up right in between 2nd and 3rd uses 2 springs on a metal guide plate, this gives tension against the spring action when shifting into reverse or first..
r_towle
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jan 27 2011, 02:28 PM) *

Been helping my friend fix up a '74 2.0 that came to us in boxes. After going through the shifter bushings I noticed that his stock shifter appears to be spring centered. Has anyone seen this before or is it just mine that isn't...?

Just one more thing for you to fix.
914 shifters all line up in the 2-3 gate.
They all have springs.
You can get the "weltmeister" upgraded springs...a bit stiffer to make it snap into that gate...but its really not a super snap.

There is also a bushing in there....so replace that when you redo your springs.

Rich
Eric_Shea
Sounded like he might have had one of the Seine Systems versions
jt914-6
What's under there.....Stock spring-large one...Weltmeister spring-small one...two more go where the holes are...one stock, one Weltmeister...the Weltmeister springs are supposed to help prevent hitting reverse when going into second....

Click to view attachment
yeahmag
Not sure... I'll pull it this weekend if I'm that curious. Mine does have the auto-reverse lock out, but his actually will center 2-3.

In other words if you pull it out of 4-5 it will center on 2-3. NOT just from R-1...
Cap'n Krusty
More important than the springs, which are more than adequate for the job, is the condition of the moving plate. They were wearing out when the cars were still in warranty, and there probably aren't a lot of cars out there with good ones. A competent weldor could repair one if they're NLA. Sometimes the shift lever itself is worn, too, and that's an easy fix for the same weldor.

The Cap'n
yeahmag
Interesting. I'd love to see a good one vs. a worn one. I just looked up a Seine Systems shifter and its definitely not that. Almost makes me wonder if its hitting something. He replaced the vinyl fuel lines with Chris' SS lines... I wonder...
jt914-6
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jan 27 2011, 04:12 PM) *

What's under there.....

Not a question.....a statement....under the plate with the cut out there is a bushing and spring....check the condition of the bushing and replace if worn.....what the hell....replace it anyway as it is not fun getting the shifter back together...another of one of those "while I'm in there"...... smash.gif
Eric_Shea
My shift lever was worn... not too hard a fix even for a non-competent welder biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I have the budget 2-spring model biggrin.gif
IPB Image
McMark
This is a worn out shifter plate.
IPB Image
Steve
Weltmeister / Automotion used to recommend the extra springs when installing the short shift kit. I had both and it helped allot to get rid of the issue of hitting reverse, however your right arm might get bigger due to the extra spring tension and no wise cracks I am left handed. I have sinced switched to a rennshift in case someone wants a complete shifter with the extra springs and short shifter.
I will put in the for sale section once I figure out a price.
Eric_Shea
This is a worn out shifter plate

Geeeez Mark... couldn't ya clean that old grease off there before you took that picture? biggrin.gif
hwgunner
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 27 2011, 05:40 PM) *

Geeeez Mark... couldn't ya clean that old grease off there before you took that picture? biggrin.gif

DITTO beerchug.gif
914werke
Funny I just happened upon one of those secondary spring kits while rooting through my boxes.
IIRC you had to drill through the sliding plate and that sucker is hardened. In fact I think they provided a drill bit with the kit~?
I think that is the reason it was still in a box.
jt914-6
Yes they provided a drill bit....wasn't much...had to use better one....and yes the sliding plate is hard as hell...... smash.gif
silver74insocal
QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 27 2011, 05:28 PM) *

Weltmeister / Automotion used to recommend the extra springs when installing the short shift kit. I had both and it helped allot to get rid of the issue of hitting reverse, however your right arm might get bigger due to the extra spring tension and no wise cracks I am left handed. I have sinced switched to a rennshift in case someone wants a complete shifter with the extra springs and short shifter.
I will put in the for sale section once I figure out a price.

idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
McMark
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 27 2011, 05:40 PM) *

Nope, that plate is Randy's (RoadGlue) car and the picture was taking in the parking lot of WCR2010. tongue.gif But you can bet that getting this right will be the first stop in my Time Machine™.
yeahmag
I learning something new everyday... This doesn't answer my original question, but it may answer why my 1-2 shifts like me to "go way right" and not glide along the lockout plate.

I'm excited to take my shifter apart now!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.