Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump for 3.0L Conversion!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeffs9146
I have the stock 3.0L FI fuel pump and filters and am now ready to start installing them! So what have you guys done? Here is a photo of what I have and the lines are considerably larger than the ones coming out of the tank!

Do you mount everything in the engine compartment or the pump up front? If you mount it in the engine compartment do you run larger lines from the tank?
Root_Werks
15 years ago when I did a CIS 914-6 conversion, we mounted the pump up front (pushes) and the accumulator, filter etc in the engine bay. Keeps the pressure in the line longer when it's closest to the fuel dist.

If I remember....I believe I was able to use the 914-4 mounting plate for the AAR as a solid mount for the CIS parts.
Cap'n Krusty
The correct location for the pump is below the tank. Porsche hung it on the front suspension cross member, but you could put it where the '75/'76 914 pump was mounted. You'll need correct fittings for the outlet and inlet on the tank, and SS pipes (call Chris Foley) to get the fuel to the engine compartment. The other stuff goes in the engine comp[artment.

The Cap'n
Jeffs9146
Thanks for the info!

What did you do about the difference in Fuel Line size? Did you use the stock 914 lines or did you run a new one? Coming from the tank to the pump is also smaller in the 914, did you do anything coming from the tank?

Also pushing the fuel will make the lines inside the tunnel under high pressure so should those be replaced?
Jeffs9146
Thanks Capt'n!

So you change out the fittings on the bottom of the tank? Where would I find those fittings?
Chris Hamilton
Definitely run new lines. You don't want one of those old plastic lines cracking and spraying fuel inside the cabin.
Jeffs9146
OK purchased all of the stuff from Chris!

What did others do about the tank nipple being 8mm and the line being 9.5mm? I purchased an adaptor but am wondering if there is a beter way. Chris said I could switch out the tank with an earlier one but I am wondering if there is a way to just change the feed nipple to a larger one?
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jan 27 2011, 12:04 PM) *

Thanks for the info!

What did you do about the difference in Fuel Line size? Did you use the stock 914 lines or did you run a new one? Coming from the tank to the pump is also smaller in the 914, did you do anything coming from the tank?

Also pushing the fuel will make the lines inside the tunnel under high pressure so should those be replaced?

Yes! Replace the fuel lines in the 914 tunnel. There wasn't the cool SS lines we have now back when I did the conversion. I used rolled copper line. I did up-size the lines, but that was mostly due to limited sizes for the copper line. Probably a good thing. If I remember, CIS runs as much as 77psig???? So way more than the 28psig D-jet runs. You need as many hard lines as possible.

I used the 914 stock fuel tank fittings with adapters, seemed to be okay. Engine ran really great.
Jeffs9146
I purchased the complete 4 piece set with the larger feed line, adaptor from the tank and groumets! So I should be OK now!

I may try to swap out the feed line off of an earlier tank. I don't know if this is possible but Lennies914 has an earlier tank I can look at!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.