Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riviera Wheel Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sailor
I have seen references to original vs reproduction Riviera wheels. Are there really differences? If so, which is the wheel pictured below? Does originality add to the value or desirability?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
I didn't think that the Riviera wheels werre particularly desirable, either original or repro, but these look much deeper than I remember them.

What is the width of these wheels? The pictures make them look much deeper than the usual 5 1/2" x 15" size.
RiqueMar
If I remember correctly, it has to do with the indentation on the front, and if it has DOT stamped on the back.

I think Tom T is the resident expert.
DanT
here are a couple of pics of a repop....and that wheel in post #1 looks very wide smile.gif
original has no faux lip on outer edge for clip on weights
original black was more of a crinkle finish
original the silver portion was more of a rough/matte finish
orignal had silver bullet center caps
the last pic the car has an original in rear the repop in the front
DanT
original
steeks
Click to view attachmentThat looks like a polished original to me, But, It has a much deeper offset than a riviera for a 914. This is an original on a 914.
Root_Werks
You have a mid generation Riv. Probably from the 80's. Those are my favorites. Have a nice deep dish look, light, not made in china, good quality.

It's what I'm running on my 914.
Tom_T
QUOTE(DanT @ Jan 28 2011, 07:29 AM) *

here are a couple of pics of a repop....and that wheel in post #1 looks very wide smile.gif
original has no faux lip on outer edge for clip on weights
original black was more of a crinkle finish
original the silver portion was more of a rough/matte finish
orignal had silver bullet center caps
the last pic the car has an original in rear the repop in the front

Dan has it here - the later repops had the rim lip for attaching outside clip-on wheel weights for wheel balancing (see note below my pix), whereas the original Rivs had a smooth angled rim face as shown in Dan's next pix (nice resto on them BTW Dan),
.... & on the original Rivs on my 73 2L since before I got it in Dec 75 below (mine also show the original Riviera interlocking "r's" logo center caps, and it's the less common brushed aluminum finish instead of the shinier polished as on Dan's), here below -

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
> Note that these are nowhere near as deep as yours, see cautions below. Also note that the stick on balancing weights are the better choice than clip-ons for any alloy or chrome wheel, and look much better if mounted on the backside rim (instead of outside like mine), but most tire shops are too lazy to use them - let alone mount them on the backside - so you have to ask & they may charge you a bit more to do so when balancing.

I think the Rivs were/are popular because you could get the 5-spoke look on a 4-lug wheel without conversion or drilling of the hubs. They tend to run about $50 each or $300 for a set of 4 today for the 15x5.5 ("J") size like Dan's or mine (a bit more if restored like Dan's), so aren't too pricey & still remain a popular period correct aftermarket wheel option on 914s & VWs today - esp. for DDs & custom/modified resto's.

I liked the look of them back in the day & wasn't heartbroken over my 73 2L's lack of the Fuchs 2L alloys. Today - after paying $1k for a nice set from SoCal Andy on here - I wished I'd gotten a set at least as back-up back when they wer about $50 each! dry.gif

The Fuchs 2L are about 10 lbs. each & one of the lightest factory or aftermarket wheels, and the Rivs are slightly heavier & not forged aluminum alloy - but cast, so not quite as strong either.

Yours definitely look like a wider or widened original Rivs, so you'll need to check offset, wheel well & front steering gear clearances to use a set like that on your 914 - esp. if narrow body.

PS- Thanx Rique, but I only know what I do cuz I had them on mine & really never paid attention to the repop difference until SoCal Andy asked me if I had originals! So I'm just essentially passing on knowledge gained as a result of this great website! biggrin.gif
stugray
My last 914 had those wheels, but it did NOT have the raised flat portion on each 'petal'.
Each petal was smooth over the entire surface.

Was that a different type or a knockoff? (they did not have the raised lip for weights either).

Stu
gothspeed
Originals are much more desireable!!! Especially because that is what is on my 914 now smile.gif!!
steeks
Stugray, The wheels that you had on your 914 were Formula V wheels, which actually came out before the Rivieras.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.