Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rim backspacing question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rdr
Does anyone know what the backspacing needs to be for 8" rims running 225/45-15 4x130? confused24.gif

Not sure that the tire matters, but I am also not sure what backspacing means. I want to get a fairly fat tire in the rear under flares. When I go to order the rims they want to know the backspacing dimension.

My intent is to get the tires as close to the standard GT flare as possible and still run on the street. preferably not using spacers.

Hope this makes sense......

Thanks! beerchug.gif
r_towle
you end up with close to 4 5/8 inches no matter what wheel you use
Anything more than that will rub on the inner fender.

You can use spacers to get to that number.
I use a rule of thumb that I must be able to sitck my fingers between the inner tire and the inner fender...

Tires flex under hard cornering and anything less than a finger and they will rub on the inside.

On the outside...flares or pulling the stock fender and/or bending over the fender lip is a common solution.
Again, one finger on the outside as well as the inside.

Choose your tires carefully...find a cool shop that will let you try a few.
Tires all vary in width and sidewall strength...some flex more than others.

On a stock car with rolled fenders, I can get a 205/50 hoosier slick under there....Its less than a finder (about 1/4 inch) and it does rub.
Those are called cantelivered (sp) tires...so they are wider than anything else I found.

Rich
Jeffs9146
Here is a chart the explaines the backspacing on fuchs!
r_towle
so, the largest backspacing you can really use, at least from what I have found, is 117 MM. (that is 4 5/8 or 4.625*25.4)

I think 112 is a better one to use, and there are more of them.

Rich
rdr
Perfect!

Within minutes, my friends to the rescue!

The chart is great! And Rich, your welding knowledge has gotten me by some tight spots in the past and now, the *finger* rule will be taken!

Take care, see everyone (sans 914 for me) at Hershey. Will be taking the truck for the goodies!
DrifterJay
worrying about rubbing is for pussies. I use a credit card for fitment purposes biggrin.gif
rdr
QUOTE(DrifterJay @ Jan 28 2011, 01:15 PM) *

worrying about rubbing is for pussies. I use a credit card for fitment purposes biggrin.gif

HA! Something about the smell of burning rubber combined with POR15 around corner 3 just makes my day! aktion035.gif
Elliot Cannon
Does this help?
Joe Ricard
My 8" Diamond Racing wheels are 5 1/2" back spacing.
Still plenty of room to the trailing arm.
gothspeed
I too like the look of 'deep dish' wheels smile.gif!! I would sure like to run modular fuchs x16s on my GT replica without any spacers!!! It would look awesome!!! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.