Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lifting the engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Archie
Hello group,

Time to get the engine off the stand and on to the dolly! So does anyone have a recommendation for chain/lifter attachment points? I can lay hands an a crane, but the idea of wrapping some heavy rope around the cylinders sets my teeth chattering! Thanks again.
ConeDodger
Type IV? Two guys and a place to set it...
McMark
agree.gif

I've thought about building a lifting cradle a few times, but there are so few areas to attach it to the motor that I've never gotten around to it.
ConeDodger
I should clarify... Get two big dumb guys. Usually Mark gets one side and I get the other. biggrin.gif
stugray
And bolt on the engine mount bar first.

It gives you something to lift from.

Stu
Jeffs9146
I use straps and go around the motor! It has worked for me many times! If the cylinders come off they where not on properly anyway! Put the tin on after you put it on the dolly!
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Archie @ Jan 28 2011, 05:44 PM) *

Hello group,

Time to get the engine off the stand and on to the dolly! So does anyone have a recommendation for chain/lifter attachment points? I can lay hands an a crane, but the idea of wrapping some heavy rope around the cylinders sets my teeth chattering! Thanks again.

Here is how I lift the motor. In the front, just behind the fan housing you will see a hole. I use a nylon strap. I used long 8mm bolt or as you see here an allen wrench to secure the strap. You will find another location at the flywheel side of the motor. If the transmission is attached, just use the location at the rear and the balance will be close.

Click to view attachment
McMark
Mark, I've seen more than a few cases with that thing broken off. I'm not comfortable lifting there.
VaccaRabite
If the engine is stripped down to a long block and looking to get mounted on an engine stand, I have put straps under the heads and attached them to a hoist from there. Can't do that with the tin on, obviously.

But easy to do if you only have yourself to work with.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 29 2011, 12:54 PM) *

Mark, I've seen more than a few cases with that thing broken off. I'm not comfortable lifting there.

Mark I don't doubt that you have seen these broken. I looks like a nice place to strike (to some) for splitting the case halves apart. There is more than enough metal there to support the engine. If is is cracked from striking is sideways, I suppose it could give an exciting moment as it gives away. sad.gif I have never had a problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.