Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: German Antenna Solution 4 the oversized fender hole.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
Just sharing what I found regarding a solution for the slightly oversize antenna hole on the fender that some of us have..

I believe my fender hole to be factory ( my 74 2.0 has proven to be 95% undisturbed by previous owner alterations/replacements ect. and I have read a thread here of others having a simular issue.) and the Hirschaman antenna that fit well I took of it I believe was also factory and was uniquely different in some ways to the New Hirschman, been awhile since removal and was ignorant 3 years ago, but the newer Hirschmann do not fit nicely and barely toe in mounting if it all in certain positions.

I have the same slightly oversized hole (*there is a thread on this somewhere on this site) the the New Hirschmann antenna available everywhere just does not or barely fills enough to hang on with and decent mounting security..

My intial solution that has worked was to get a larger base from a cheap vw? antenna and use that in place of the Hirschmann base but still use the HIrschamann antenna istself.. Woodys Custom Shop (Antenna Collector and Seller.) learned me the differences and supplied me an antenna with the bigger base but it is an el cheapo version of a vw antenna, so I combined the 2..

Then I just recenly found Poddig Antenna's German Made High Quality available from a seller on SambaVW and same seller on ebay; in fact some are "museum?" collection Antenna like a rare Bosch red tip or Hirschmann..

link; air-cooled museum boutique $100 euros?

http://www.aircooled-museum.com/boutique-2...ig-antenna.html

Picture of what the seller has and link, there are 2 sizes available 100cm &
150 cm and the price is only $20, ..

link;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1013263

More importantly the base (mounting portion) is a good fit, without looking oversized or unfitting, comming in at 36mm clamping area..

I bought one and it took 2 weeks to get but damn it is a quality piece.

They are or seems to be on the long side when fully extended but if you read up on why car antenna's are the length they are; you will see why they are the length the Poddig chose and why the shorter one is 2/3 the length of the longer on is..

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
913B
That's pretty nice, my antenna hole is oversized too. But that $14 shipping kinda kills it for me. sad.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Factory? Not in the US. The holes were drilled by Julio from We Got Your Stereo, or whatever radio shop with which the selling dealer did business. Or maybe the lot boy.

The Cap'n
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 28 2011, 09:16 PM) *

Factory? Not in the US. The holes were drilled by Julio from We Got Your Stereo, or whatever radio shop with which the selling dealer did business. Or maybe the lot boy.

The Cap'n

Your absolutely right, biggrin.gif Radio's installed at dealerships... I'm an idiot for thinking otherwise.. my car had ac too./.

My god here in Los Angeles on the cover of the LA Times is showed "jose cisco francisco javier gaudalupe gomez" with a hack saw down by the gas pedals when Toyota had their acceleration problem and solution in action..
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Jan 28 2011, 08:11 PM) *

That's pretty nice, my antenna hole is oversized too. But that $14 shipping kinda kills it for me. sad.gif

shipping is 9.99 on his ebay listing plus it is only a few dollars more than local usps priority or ups.. and the piece is much sweeter than the $25 hirschman that is out there now.. it is what it is, the seller is really good communicator and has limitied supply..

Look at what i listed $100 euros for another version or the one that workd for the 914 $20
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.