Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Joined the madness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
OK, I finally had to ask my 11 year old how to resize the photo's, and she made me look like a dummy. No surprise there.

Anyway, it seems to have worked, so while I've posted before, I'd like to introduce myself and say thanks for the site.

I can remember seeing these cars frequently during the 70's, and thinking just how ugly they were, and how much I liked the real Porsches. I guess tastes change as you get older, these cars are so unique looking now, and I get a kick out of people asking what it is.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The main issue she's got is an oil leak that I can't seem to locate; I guess it's from the front main seal. Other than that, it is in good shape, and is a blast to drive, as you all know.

Joe
type47
Beautiful! welcome.png Don't forget to add your VIN, (your daughter can show you how biggrin.gif ). See ya at Hershey! Looks like you will be searching for a new username.
jim_hoyland
Welcome ! welcome.png smile.gif Great looking car ! Seems like there are several other 914s in your area.

Add your VIN to the data base at: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94572

You can link a picture to your previous post as well.

Porschef
Thanks,

When is the Hershey thing?

Joe
tscrihfield
welcome.png Nice car! I like the tan interior with the signal orange exterior!
914itis
welcome.png

What part of LI are you? hershey is the last weekend of April, 23,24. I will be driving there, we will meet with other teeners in NJ and take the drive. This is gonna be my first year as well.

As to your leak, have you checked your push rod seals?, they are common for that. I had to replace them a few months ago.
Porschef
Hi,

I'm in Suffolk, and with all the snow there's no driving her now. I'd like to do the Hershey trip, I'll just have to throw a couple of extra quarts of the green stuff in the trunk blink.gif

The pushrod seals were replaced by the PO, I thought it would be the cooler seals but they're dry. Oil comes from the front center of the engine.

Joe
914itis
QUOTE(porscheless @ Jan 30 2011, 10:28 AM) *

Hi,

I'm in Suffolk, and with all the snow there's no driving her now. I'd like to do the Hershey trip, I'll just have to throw a couple of extra quarts of the green stuff in the trunk blink.gif

The pushrod seals were replaced by the PO, I thought it would be the cooler seals but they're dry. Oil comes from the front center of the engine.

Joe

sure, FYI The green stuff is available at Colvin autoparts in Merrick. let me know if you need the address. you can start a thread with the leaking issue, I am sure someone here will guide you to the right direction.
rick 918-S
welcome.png Your leak could be the front crank seal or more serious a galley plug coming loose. I've seen a galley plug come out before. It happens fast and the oil is gone fast.
Porschef
Yes, I've read about those plugs. I haven't been able to get a real good look up there other than when I looked at the oil cooler. Are the plugs visible without dropping the engine?
Gint
QUOTE(porscheless @ Jan 30 2011, 07:43 AM) *
OK, I finally had to ask my 11 year old how to resize the photo's, and she made me look like a dummy. No surprise there.
av-943.gif That's hilarious. welcome.png Nice car. Those pictures obviously weren't taken last week.
Porschef
Hi,

Was away for a while, Sunday errands.

Thanks, and no, they were taken in October. Just took me this long to get a block of time to figure it out, er, I mean, ask my daughter how to resize photos.

Joe
gothspeed
welcome.png Congratulations!!! It looks fantastic!!! beerchug.gif
jsayre914
welcome.png
Nice car, It,s O.K. to drive it in the snow, just dont tell anybody that I told you to do it biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
914itis
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jan 30 2011, 04:02 PM) *

welcome.png
Nice car, It,s O.K. to drive it in the snow, just dont tell anybody that I told you to do it biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

chair.gif
Jacob
welcome.png Nice care! Like the color!
914 shifter
welcome.png i was hoping someone would answer your question concerning oil galley plugs.i would but i don"t know. beerchug.gif
Tom_T
welcome.png & drooley.gif 914 & agree.gif ... time for a screen name change!

How about "Finally Porsched"? confused24.gif

And yes, they're great snow cars - esp. on stock 165 tires! Took mine skiing many times back in the day - we do have snow in our mountains out here! biggrin.gif
bembry
Nice car, and welcome from a CA to RI transplant. Maybe I'll see you at Hershey!
johannes
Welcome

The french guy
type47
QUOTE(porscheless @ Jan 30 2011, 07:45 AM) *

Are the plugs visible without dropping the engine?

No, they are hidden behind the fan housing.
ScottD914
I found 12 in my 1.8/ '74 case. During rebuild, I tapped and plugged them, but it simply can't be done without dropping and dismantling the case. 2 or 3 are behind the flywheel. Look for the easy sources first. ScottD

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
I like the orange on tan, very nice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.